We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
india
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road

hi

CAn anyone suggest how to go abt seeing the Great Ocean Road.

We plan to stay in Hotel Victoria in Melbourne.

How much does it cost to reach the great ocean road?

How much is the travel duration?

Are there any economical ways to seeing this place?

Wht else is there to see in Melbourne

thanks

maulika

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Great Ocean Road

Marti, I am not a Cumberland fan. It is big, and has a great range of activities but like all big places, can be a bit impersonal at times. We will either stay at Wye River, which is between Apollo Bay and Lorne with fantastic elevated ocean views or Chatby Lane apartments which is further back from the beach but run by the owners who are friendly and run a great business. I haven't stayed at the Grand Pacific but it is just a couple of hundred metres away from the Cumberland and is in A1 position. Lorne has the best safe beach on the whole coast.

Barossa Valley is full of wineries, so buy some there and take them along on the rest of your journey. It used to be the best known winery area in Aust and although still good has to battle with a number of up and coming winery areas, including Yarra Valley. My favourite Aussie wine is the Yering Station chardonnay, so if you like your wine drop into Yering Station whilst in the Yarra Valley. One small tip, instead of going to Geelong, travel on to Queenscliff and take the ferry across to Sorrento. You can then drive on to Melbourne on the nicer side of the bay or avoid Melbourne and head straight to the Yarra Valley. Some great wineries also on the Mornington Peninsula which is where Sorrento is. The ferry crossing is great and have a look at Point Lonsdale just short of Queenscliff and view Port Phillip Heads, awesome water view.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,271 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Great Ocean Road

Dear Willnino,

Thanks for the tips. I think we will stay at the Grand Pacific Hotel in Lorne since we were able to book 2 - 2 bedroom Ocean View suites.

We are two familes traveling together (w/ 4 children). The other family that we are traveling with is from Australia. We will be spending 8 days in Perth with the other family's parents with a side trip to Margaret River (The Bunker Bay Resort). Then on to Adelaide with 4 nights in the Barossa Valley at the Barossa Valley Inn. After our drive along the Great Ocean Road, we are staying another 4 nights in the Yarra Valley (Seville) with the in-laws on their farm. Needless to say, we will be doing a lot of wine tasting.

I feel great about the places we have booked for this trip. I will definitely write a full review of the entire trip when we return.

Any other tips on wineries that we must visit would be greatly appreciated. Any other "must sees" along the Great Ocean Road?

Thanks,

Marti

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Great Ocean Road

Hi all

Willnino has already given me great advice on where to stay in Waramboola and travelling from Melbourne on the GOR, but I like the idea of going back to Melbourne via the Grampians and perhaps staying overnight in this area before returning to Melbourne.

Any views???

Steve