We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

ph
Level Contributor
196 posts
17 reviews
Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

Hi,

I will be traveling in the Great Ocean Road on the third week of SEPTEMBER...

This would be my itinerary...

Day 1

Early Morning: Arrive at Avalon Airport in Melbourne; take a bus to a town/stop near Twelve Apostles that is accessible by the bus.*

Early Afternoon: Arrive at the town; book an accommodation*

Later afternoon: Rent a car or bike in the accommodation or in a place nearby.

Before Golden Hour/Sunset: Arrive @ Twelve Apostles with rented vehicle

After Twilight Leave: Leave Twelve Apostles with rented vehicle back to hotel

Night/Overnight: Stay at accommodation

Day 2

Early morning before twilight: Astrophography whatever

Early morning before twilight: Leave hotel to catch Sunrise @ Twelve Apostles using rented vehicle

Before sunrise: Arrive @ Twelve Apostles

After Golden Hour: Leave Twelve Apostles

Later morning: Breakfast @ accommodation or nearby; check-out; return rented vehicle

Later morning: Take a hop-on, off bus back to Melbourne**

Question:

1. Which accommodation is near the Twelve Apostles AND is walking distance to a bus stop AND has a bike or car rent?

2. Using those V-line buses, is it possible to leave your heavy luggages there whenever it makes a stop.

Sorry if my questions might sound stupid or naive but this is my FIRST time in Australia.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,647 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

There is no car rental available near the 12 Apostles.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

There is no car hire places in the small towns that are close to the 12 apostles. The most straightforward thing to do would be hire a car from Avalon Airport, and drive yourself from there to the 12 apostles area. You can then drive this car back to the city and drop it off.

The Great Ocean road is not an area that is easily done by public transport, you either need to drive yourself or take a tour that starts in the city. But for what you want to do self driving is best. The vline bus that services this area is not really designed to be a hop on hop of tourist bus, it's a service that's gets locals down to Geelong or the city and there are no trains in the area. It's to get you from A to B, not really to explore the area.

ph
Level Contributor
196 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

Boo, then I will just rent a car from Avalon.

I have already read the FAQ on driving in Australia somewhere in this forum. So this means if I am a licensed driver the Philippines with no bad record, I can drive within a month in OZ??? (fyi, PI drives from the left; OZ from the right) ??

Now where can I get a dummy guide to driving in this road? From what I read its hard to overtake and there lots of kangaroos crossing the road

Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,583 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

>>From what I read its hard to overtake<<

Why do you need to overtake?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

We drive on the left side of the road, with the driver sitting in the right side of the car. Opposite to the Phillipines. If your license is in English and you are over 25 you shouldn't have a problem hiring a car here. As for road rules you can read up on the VicRoads website.

The GOR requires concentration as it is very windy in some places, and speed limits are strictly enforced in Australia. There are long stretched of the road where you would not be able to overtake a slow vehicle, you just need to be patient and accept that you will just need to go slow. Many people (lots of them tourists) are killed every year on this road by not driving to the conditions.

As long as you are sensible, don't speed and follow the road rules you should be fine. As for animals while it is unlikely you will encounter one, you need to be aware that animals like kangaroos and wombats are more active around dawn and dusk, and they so wander onto the roads. As a tourist you aren't used to this so we generally advise to avoid driving country roads at these times.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

As you mention departure from Avalon airport, I assume you will already have been in Austalia for some time by then.

My comment is because we have a number of tourists planning to reel off 10+ hour flights & into a rental car in an unfamiliar country, with little or no knowledge of the road rules here & scant driving experience outside small, highly regulated cities, to do what is a reasonably challenging drive for locals.

We then struggle for a polite way to tell them that's one of the most stupid & dangerous choices they could make. Occasionally we are unsuccessful in dissuading them & then ask what dates they are planning this maneuvre, so we can ensure neither we nor anyone we care about is on the road at that time.

Edited: 2:40 am, August 24, 2015
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

Have a read of this thread before you do your road trip.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k7…

You have been given some great advice so far the GOR needs total concentration. We have had a number of accidents involving overseas tourists driving the route including one where a female French tourist lost control of her vehicle and had to be cut from it near Aireys Inlet only a couple of weeks ago so be careful when driving the GOR.

Also be on the lookout for road works at various locations along the GOR. Currently works are underway at Allansford at the Warrnambool end of the GOR and works are scheduled very soon at Anglesea.

www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au for more info.

ph
Level Contributor
196 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

Thanks for the advice. Either I go there on a tour in the middle of the day or drive 40-60km per hour when I go there :-(

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

Tours of the GOR with either ATWAD or Go West which incidentally get good reviews and I have seen a number of Go West buses along the GOR normally start early in the morning with a late drop off. These tours last for around 13-14 hours and cover close to 700k from Melbourne, but you do get to experience the highlights of the GOR and depending on the tour may even provide lunch.

Enjoy your trip.

10. Re: Great Ocean Road - Transport/Car Rentals near 12 Apostles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 26, 2016