We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR trip-is this realistic?

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
772 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
GOR trip-is this realistic?

Hi

we are a large group of 4 families with kids and plan to do the GOR in 2nd week of Oct with one night halt. we would be traveling with 2 or 3 cars. this is our plan

Leave melbourne at 9am after breakfast. drive via geelong, anglesea, lorne, then lunch at apollo bay.

then proceed to see the 12 Apt.

Then travel to Warrnambool. overnight at Warrnambool .

Morning proceed to port fairy, have lunch there.

then travel back to melbourne via colac

is this doable?

considering we are a large group do we need to book our hotel before hand?

Where should do our night halt? Warrnambool or apollo bay?

please do advice

thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

You're pretty much proposing that you do the entire GOR in one day, starting in Melbourne after 9am. In my opinion, that is too much for one day.

The best parts of the road are before Warrnambool. Do you know what you want to see between there are Port Fairy? I'd say for a two day trip, it isn't worth the extra driving to Port Fairy.

Personally, I'd travel the first day as far as Apollo Bay or Port Campbell. Then continue along the road to Warrnambool, and turn back from there towards Melbourne on the fast road. There is much to see on the coastal stretch, and you have to get out of the car and walk to see it.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

I did something similar but in reverse on my first visit to the GOR.

My husband and I were going to Melbourne from somewhere else and we drove Port Campbell to Melbourne in one day. It was doable, that is about all I can say about it. When we went back as a family we took a leisurely whole week to see it.

IMO trying to do the even greater distance to include Warrnambool and Port Fairy with such a large group in multiple vehicles with only one overnight stop is pushing the limits of doable and certainly not enjoyable.

>>we are a large group of 4 families with kids__we would be traveling with 2 or 3 cars<<

Could you explain this in detail please? Are you aware of our regulations regarding children travelling in cars?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

I would look at stopping at Apollo Bay for night one.

It will take you 3-4hrs of solid driving from Melbourne to Apollo Bay by the shortest route which is generally accepted the inland route.

To do this route from Melbourne you will need to take the Princess Highway and the Geelong by pass road until you get to the Cape Otway road which intersects with the Princess highway the Geelong side of Mount Moriac. This road will eventually bring you out on the GOR roughly near Skenes Creek which is close to AB.

If you decided to travel to AB via the GOR you wont have any trouble filling in your day as there are a number of towns, beaches and in the Otway's waterfalls especially behind Lorne which are easily accessible, the scenery is simply amazing.

The route I would suggest is to take the Princess Highway from Melbourne stopping at the information centre located at the service station just north of Avalon Airport and stock up on what maps and information you need and continue on the Princess Highway and Geelong Bypass until you reach the Anglesea road turn off just southwest of Waurn Ponds. The Anglesea road joins with the GOR at Bellbrae. At either the Mount Duneed or Bellbrae roundabouts you can do a diversion to Torquay if you wish.

The towns of Anglesea, Aireys Inlet with its Split Point light house, Lorne with Erskine falls and the hamlets of Wye and Kennett River are worth stopping at and experiencing some of the beaches and scenery.

I would look at pre arranging accommodation at Apollo Bay which will make it easier for you rather than getting there and having to try and find a place for the night.

The next day I would drive to the 12 apostles and Port Campbell. It will take around 4 hours to drive from PC to Melbourne by the inland route.

The GOR is 243k from its start at Torquay to its end near Warrnambool. It is a difficult drive that takes a great deal of concentration due to the nature of the road. It is very winding with a number of hairpin bends especially between Anglesea and Apollo Bay.

Enjoy your trip and safe travelling.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
772 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

thanks for the info

we are 8 adults and 6 children so we are planning either 3 sedans or 2 minivans (8 seaters).

yes we have got some idea about regulations with regards to children and child seats and restraints.

depending on your feedback, this is our alternate program. travel to Port campbell on the first day, stay over night and next day travel to Warrnambool and return back to melbourne by fast road.

is this ok or should we just turn around at port campbell and return back?

thanks

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

What you want to do is probably doable but its a lot of driving and I just wonder if you will really enjoy the experience. To get some benefit of the trip you will need to spend some time at the various attractions along the GOR.

When you factor in the time it takes to drive to a destination its not going to give you much time to actually get out and enjoy the views and what the region has to offer. It would be easy to spend at least a couple of hours at the 12 Apostles alone, Erskine falls and Lorne as well as Apollo Bay you will need probably a couple of hours at each location.

You could perhaps head down the highway to Warrnambool which will take you around 4 hours from Melbourne. visit Tower Hill and Port Fairy to stay a night. Then head to Port Campbell and visit places like the Bay of Islands, London Bridge and the 12 Apostles etc and then head either Inland from Port Campbell to the Princess Highway or continue onto Lavers Hill or Apollo Bay and then take one of the roads to Colac to link up with the Princess Highway. To return to Melbourne from one of the towns I have mentioned will take at least 3-4 hours of driving.

I still think you are trying to do too much in the limited time you have especially considering you are travelling with children

www.visitvictoria.com is an excellent site to give you information on the area you will be visiting.

Enjoy planning your visit.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
772 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

thanks

i have been doing some research with regards to drive times on the GOR on google maps, but what i gather is that it takes longer. how much longer does it actually take to travel.

a rough ides would be great.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

The times that Google indicate to travel to towns like Lorne, Apollo Bay and Port Fairy are IMO optimistic.

To travel from Geelong to Lorne I normally allow 1 hour 30 min via the GOR, the inland route is marginally quicker, to travel to Apollo Bay allow an extra hour. If you are travelling from Melbourne I would allow an extra hour of travelling time in the context: Melbourne to Lorne 2hrs 30min, to Apollo Bay 3hrs 30min.

These are straight through times without stopping. On the GOR the speed limit varies considerably, in the towns there are speed limits ranging from 50k/hour and 60k/hour. Outside the towns the limit will vary from 70k/hour to 90k/hour, there are only a few sections where you can drive at the maximum speed limit of 100km/hour.

The road is very winding with a number of hairpin bends and especially between Lorne and Apollo Bay on a recent trip I noticed evidence of land slips with large boulders on the side of the road. This type of problem can happen after heavy rain and is an extra hazard to contend with when driving and there are times when driving at the posted speed limit on the GOR can be just plain stupid and dangerous due the nature of the road.

If you had an extra night to spare I would suggest a night at Apollo Bay then crossing Cape Otway visiting the 12 Apostles etc and staying a night at Warrnambool or Port Fairy before returning to Melbourne. The time to travel to Melbourne from either PF or Warrnambool could take you 4hours plus.

If I was you I would be inclined to have a good look at the distances involved and work out what you want to see and how much time you are prepared to allow to visit each of the attractions you plan to visit. The scenery both on the coast and if you had the time to explore the Otway's is amazing and there is a lot to see and do.

Travelling with children generally means that travel plans have to have a degree of flexibility that could impact on the distances you actually travel each day.

Google earth is a great resource as the images can give you a good idea of the GOR and the type of road you will be travelling on.

Hope what I have written is helpful.

8. Re: GOR trip-is this realistic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 18, 2015