We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hi, will be arriving in Hobart for the first time on 19th June. Plan to rent a car the next day to get around. What's the advice for doing a rental onine in Singapore before we depart or can we just walk in to a rental company in town? It's my first time renting a car when overseas so really need your good advice.

Many thanks in advance...

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

You will certainly be assured of getting a car if you book ahead. And if you do it on line now you should be able to shop around for the best deal.

It would also be worthwhile seeing what rate you get by checking the rates through your airline's website.

Otherwise, links here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s302/Hobar…

Luigi

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,865 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

>>It's my first time renting a car when overseas so really need your good advice.<<

Have you posted a draft itinerary yet, that's always a good idea as overseas visitors often have an erroneous idea of the size of the island and how much is actually achievable.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Hi, I'm actually going to tasmania too in a week's time from singapore and chanced upon this website called rentforless.com.au. was wondering if the rental car company would be reliable and safe to rent from as I have read many bad reviews online? many thanks for any inputs on this company!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

The major car rental companies in the link i posted in reply #1 seem to attract relatively few bad reviews on this forum.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Thank you for your suggestion but really, this trip is to accompany my son who'll be starting his 3.5 years study at the University of Tasmania so it's really more to go around getting things done like opening his bank account, getting the essentials etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,407 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Hi,

I would recommend booking online with one of the major car rentals to avoid any disappointments.

Avis / Budget / Thrifty etc all operate from Hobart Airport. The airport is very small compared to our other domestic airports in Australia & its all very easy to do from the airport.

hobartairportcarhire.com.au/…

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

I would certainly book before you arrive. If there is an event on during the time you are here it may be impossible to get a car. I have had that happen to me when I have needed a car for work. I would go with one of the brand names - Budget, Hertz or Thrifty

Regards

Suzi

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

Thanks everyone for all the kind advice. Will definitely make a booking online.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

Hi. We hired a car from hertz at hobart airport a couple of weeks ago. No issues. Nice car, prompt service and no hidden charges. It's helpful to obtain third party excess reduction insurance to save rental cost.

Abs :)

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

How much does it cost to buy the third party excess reduction insurance from Hertz?