We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short trip

penang
6 posts
Save Topic
short trip

Interested in spending 2 to 3 nights in Tasmania and it is either in Launceston or Hobart. Still could not make our our mind. Any suggestion as to which would be a better deal? Or would it be better to drive from one place to another. Is there public transport(bus or train) connecting tehes two cities.

Thanks

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: short trip

Both centres have their attractions but with a relatively short stay I would suggest you choose one centre and concentrate on it and see as much as you can, there are buses that run a few times a day between these cities which are reliable. Persoanally I would choose Hobart as I believe there is a wider choice of attractions depending on where your interests lie, Hobart is around twice the size of Launceston in population terms but Launceston has other major towns that are within driving distance, let me know what you are interested in and maybe I can help you a litte more !

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: short trip

you could stay at Launceston and drive to hobart in just over 2 hrs inland trip, or vice versa.

depending upon your interests for either town/city, what do you like???

cruises, wineries, or ???

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: short trip

Hi

I prefer Hobart as it has the Salamanca Markets on every Saturday.

You can't miss one of Oz's best markets. The whole area around the wharf is great.. do a Peppermint Bay cruise to a wonderful place to eat local produce and taste the cold climate tassie wine.

Launceston has some plusses if you like history and antiques.

There is a train between the towns.

http://www.railmaps.com.au/tas.htm

Deb

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: short trip

Hi Deb : There isn't a passenger train that runs bewteen Hobart and Launceston, the line is only used for freight and we haven't had passenger services in Tassie for nearly 20 years

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: short trip

yes eastie you are right re train.

maybe they can get a car???

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: short trip

plenty a car hire form either airport upon arival,o r book via website beforhand.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: short trip

Hi Lilyana ; Unfortunate about the trains as we still have some great lines in place along the coast and down through the middle of the state, but I beleive maintentance costs are too high for passenger services, shame really as it would be great for tourists to travel around. Agree rent a car gives you much more flexibility in either Hobart or Launceston

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: short trip

yes its a huge shame. it would bring in toursit $$.

rent a car isnt always possible for some due to personal reasons, ie money, cant drive etc.

I cant drive due to my health, so its very annoying if don thave a driver with on holiday.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: short trip

Hi chng,

I would have to agree with 'inapickle' - Hobart by far would be my fav spot for a few days. More touristy stuff to see and do and just a good city all-round.

Salamanca Markets are a must on a Saturday (i was there on the weekend, and i love it every time i go). I also did the Cadbury Factory Tour for the first time and that was very interesting with an enjoyable ending (chocolate!). You could also go to Port Arthur for a day, Boags Brewery Tour, Tahune Air-walk, Hastings Caves & Thermal Pools or just relax/shop.

A few suggestions for you, but like everyone has said, depends on what you are interested in!

Cheers

Lyn

Tasmania
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: short trip

Hi Chng, My recommendation is Hobart too. You'll have no trouble finding too many things to do for your 2-3 days. I think some of the most interesting tourist attractions in Tasmania are found on the Midlands Highway that connects Hobart and Launceston. To me the old colonial towns like Ross, Bothwell or Oatlands are unique; they are so very original. I'd suggest hiring a car from Hobart and driving up to Ross, and walking around the town, and then going across to the East Coast to the Freycinet Peninsula, and taking the shortish walk to the Wineglass Bay lookout (or walk further down to the beach if you have more time; take food/drink with you and comfortable shoes). The Freycinet area has won a range of international awards as a top tourist destination. Allow a full day to drive to Ross and then on to the Freycinet P., then take a different route back to Hobart. It'll be a trip you will remember.