We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best and cheapest car rental company

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
307 reviews
Save Topic
best and cheapest car rental company

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on the cheapest car rental from 10 days in and around Hobart? I have never heard of honk, Bargain and Red Ribbon so I am confused.

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

I think best and cheapest are different. The best is likely to be one of the major companies like Hertz, Budget or Avis.

If you want a cheapER company, try Bargain Car Rentals - which gets mostly good reviews here. http://www.bargaincarrentals.com.au/

I am certain I would not go out of my way to find the cheapEST car rental company. :)

Luigi

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

I think best and cheapest are different too and I couldn't agree more with >>I am certain I would not go out of my way to find the cheapEST car rental company<<. Btw I might be jumping to conclusions but I noticed you said >>10 days in and around Hobart<<, are you basing yourself in Hobart?

3. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:46 am, December 13, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

"Best and Cheapest" surely is a oxymoron

www.drivenow.com.au

www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au

Distance calculator www.auinfo.com

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

sorry, your are right with the oxymoron bit.

I guess what I meant was the best out of the cheaper ones like red balloon, bargain etc

As it's for 10 days it's quite expensive with Hertz etc and we are just after a reliable/tidy car since we are staying at Cambridge and just visiting family and friends around Hobart - we are not tourists as such.

Anyway thanks again for your input :-)

Perth
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

Hello 123free,

It's cool!

Just go to one of the sites above which offer you to compare rental rates and your problem should be solved.

Also, since the rental is for more than a week, don't forget to ask your renter for a discount.

It works! ;)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

Tread very carefully with BARGAIN CAR RENTALS. They play fast and loose with your credit card and you could be left fighting to get your money back. Many of their vehicles have small amounts of unrepaired damage and you'll find yourself arguing about who did what and when. In my opinion, not to be recommended.

Penang Malaysia
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

I rented a mini bus from Bargain Car Rental for 9 days from Nov 17 to Nov 26 for AUD130 per day for my family trip in Tassie. I also rented a baggage trailer for AUD39 per day. Insurance AUD25 per day at 0 excess. I concur with tasman 254 that we should be cautious. Though I have yet to receive any bill from BCR. When collecting the minibus, the staff manually swiped my credit card with no amount stated which to be kept for 4 weeks. The reason given by BCR was that in case there's any parking fees or traffic summonses should I fail to settle during my stay in Tasmania, BCR will incur the amount from my credit card. When I returned the minibus at the company premises, the staff checked through the minibus and said everything was fine to the vehicle body. I will only know my fate 4 weeks later.

Collecting the vehicle from BCR at Launceston airport would take up about an hour because I was advised to phone BCR after I collected my baggage and the staff would come over to the airport (that would take about 10 to 15 minutes), once at the office premises, the staff have to explain the rules and regulations and sign some papers, after which I have to inspect the vehicle thoroughly and took photos of any scratched and dented place and then returned to the airport to pick up my family members and baggage.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

Definitely have a look at vroomvroomvroom.com.au - I am going to Hobart for 3 days in feb & booked a car through vroom (with Thrifty - worked out at $60 cheaper for the 3 days than with Hertz)

Rotterdam, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best and cheapest car rental company

Same bad experience with Bargain: cost me $720 for a existing damage and $ 300 for being 1 hour late. They sound cheap but make a good profit.

Edited: 5:23 pm, December 24, 2013