We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern light

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Southern light

Hi,

Can i see southern light from mount wellington? What is the name of the hotel from the mountain? How far is it from the mountain? How to go to the op of mountain? When is the best time to see the southern light?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern light

Hi Kunasun. Welcome to the forum. I see you are also asking about the Northern Lights. Are you thinking of planning a holiday to wherever you can see the Lights (Aurora)? Do you have any other criteria or reasons for travelling, or is the main thing seeing the Lights?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,976 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern light

There is no hotel on the top of Mount Wellington. Just a lookout.

You can drive to the top quite easily from Hobart. Just head due west up Davey Street and keep heading uphill. It's about a 40 minute drive.

Alternatively, a shuttle bus goes to the top twice a day from the Tourist Information Centre, but not at night.

If you read ALL of the other thread that you have posted on in the Hobart forum, you'll know all there is to know about your chances of seeing the aurorae.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern light

Yes, My dream is to see the aurora. I.m from kiala lumpur, Malaysia. If possible, I want to see southern light because it will be half of the cost of seeing northen light. Australia and New zealand nearer than scandanavian countries. Any suggestion?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,976 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern light

You have more chance of seeing the aurora from southern Tasmania than anywhere else in Australia, but your chances are still not high. It seems to happen on only a few days each year. It is said that your chances are greater near the spring and autumn equinoxes.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,768 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern light

Hi KL!

If your goal is to travel a vast distance and see the aurora, you'll probably want to travel to the far north.

Aside from Antarctica, where you'll never see an aurora, even if you could afford to go, the nearest spots in the Southern Hemisphere from which you might ever spy the Southern Lights will be in Tasmania. As a Tasmanian writer has pointed out, though, even in far southern Tasmania they're rare. Seeing one on a given night of a pre-planned trip would be a stroke of remarkably good fortune.

That leaves the far north. Here's a link to the University of Alaska's Aurora Prediction Center:

…alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/…26

Take a look, and you'll see the green band, where auroras will likely be high in the sky tonight. As it happens tonight (June 26th in the Western hemisphere) is a quiet evening for auroras. The only significant inhabited area in the green band this evening is Yellowknife, in the Northwest Territories of Canada, and Tromso, Norway.

The reason you would never see an aurora in Antarctica and northern Canada, by the way, is that for two to three months around high summer, the sky never gets completely dark there. You need a completely dark sky to see the aurora. Even bright moonlight can spoil the show. So, if you visited in summer, the tourist season, there'll be no dark nights for seeing any. You could, in principle, visit the polar regions in winter, but there will surely be few practical ways of getting there, and you probably would not want to spend all that much time in a high-latitudes winter.

So where is the most practical spot? Northern Norway. Places like Tromso, a sizable city, lie in the aurora zone most nights of the year. This evening, a quiet night, the green zone on the map brushes Tromso. Of course, there's midnight sun right now, so you could not actually see any in June or July. If you went in late northern summer, though, say toward the end of August, the nights will have returned, the weather is still mild and there's an aurora most clear evenings.

Norway is certainly not cheap, but it has lots of tourist facilities and is easily accessible, even from Malaysia. Tromso would be my choice.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Edited: 8:23 pm, June 26, 2013
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern light

We live in the south east of South Australia and have done so the last 40+ years. About 15 years ago I saw for the only time in my life, the Aurora Australis. I went out about 9pm to feed our dogs before going to bed and was totally bewildered by the incredible streaming green light in the sky. I ran inside speaking a bit incoherently and my partner quickly came out and cool as you like said, 'oh, it's the southern lights'.

It was very, very cool.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern light

Lucky you Tryhard :-)

I think I might have seen a greenish glow some years ago. It was said on the local news that there was a chance the Aurora could be visible further north than usual so I was watching for it. I'm still not sure if saw something or not. (An Aurora seen in Canberra apparently was reported in newspapers in 1947.) I would not be planning a holiday to Australia around seeing the Aurora. Great info from Capetien, thanks for that.

Edited: 3:29 am, June 27, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern light

Thanks

9. Re: Southern light

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 01, 2014