We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strahan to Hobart

Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Strahan to Hobart

I need to drive from Strahan to Hobart to catch a flight out of Hobart at 4.55pm. Is this doable in June if I leave Strahan at around 9am? I am just concerned about ice on the road going on the road past Lake St Clair.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,543 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strahan to Hobart

It should be easily doable with a 9am start. It's about a five hour drive.

Drive carefully. You can't do any more than about 60 kilometres per hour on most of the road anyway. :)

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strahan to Hobart

Hi sweetiepark,

It's very doable with the amount of time you have, but yes in June there's a chance of snow either side of Derwent Park. To be honest most road closures due to snow have been in the later winter months, although you could still get ice. If there's a chance of ice, just drive a bit slower, and leave as late as possible. You'll need to keep an eye on the weather warnings the day before you leave at

http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/warnings/

and talk to your accommodation host to get their thoughts on the road conditions out on the day you leave. I'm afraid as you know it's mother nature and she can be very unpredictable, and the problem with Strahan you can get road closures and ice on both exits roads :o(

I hope all works out well.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 3:51 pm, May 17, 2013
3. Re: Strahan to Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 19, 2014