We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days /Hobart

Missoula
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
5 days /Hobart

Hello: We have never been to Tasmania before and would like to see the best of the wilderness areas. I don't like driving on the other side of the highway, but we have done it in the past. I think we will have to be grounded in Hobart, but would like to get up to Strahan and overnight for the train. We would also like to see the best of the ocean sites. Being from Montana we are not that desperate to get to Cradle Mountain. Is this a good possibility:

Day 1 Hobart to Strahan

Day 2 train and harbor

Day 3 Cradle Mountain and head back toward Hobart--which town to stay in to cut the driving time down to about 4 hours that day?

Thank you for your help--it is much appreciated. We plan to try to come in March 26 and leave about April 2. I know it is a busy time, but we are on retirement and need to keep the costs down any suggestions about places to stay would be welcome also. Anne

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,528 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days /Hobart

It's a doable plan, noting that you would have no choice but to self-drive to complete the route in the planned time. However, it's probably not possible to do the train and river cruise on the same day unless they're still doing an afternoon cruise that late into the season. It's not showing on the booking page of the websites, so it's best to ask the operators:

http://www.worldheritagecruises.com.au/

http://www.gordonrivercruises.com.au/

Launceston would offer you the most options for accommodation on Day 3. It's a picturesque historic city and is worth a look anyway. I like this B&B for moderately priced accommodation: http://www.higeorge.com.au/

Cheapest accommodation at Cradle Mountain is a cabin at Discovery Holiday parks: discoveryholidayparks.com.au/tas/cradle_moun…

There are more options in Strahan, but nothing is cheap. Try using Wotif, which is the biggest Australian hotel booking website: wotif.com/hotels/australia-tas-strahan-hotel…

Hope this helps,

Luigi

Missoula
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days /Hobart

Dear Luigi:

Thank you for your time and insights--they are much appreciated!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days /Hobart

I am fortunate to have been to Tassie many times - mainly as a kid camping and bushwalking and as an adult in nice B and Bs. The scenery is spectacular, the people lovely and the food just gets better. One thing is that the distances are deceiving. Now that I have two young children I tend to do a lot less and go a relaxed pace. This has opened a new way of experiencing places in much more depth. So, for us when we visit Tassie for a short break/long weekend later this year (hooray) the plan is to have 4-5 nights just in Hobart and potter around there. That said, my 6 year old would love to see snow and my 9 year old would love to see the Tassie beaches (in winter- I know).

Luigi, as you seem to be very knowledgeable about Tassie would you recommend 5 nights in Hobart or maybe 3 Hobart and 2 somewhere close (maybe Bruny Island?).

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,528 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days /Hobart

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments on the distances, MegGibbo! Much better to use the time seeing and doing things rather than just driving, driving, driving ....

I think either of your plans would be very good. I like Bruny Island. :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days /Hobart

I'm not sure if this will fit into your plans at all, but I once took the Par Avion Wilderness Flight out of Hobart, and I was thrilled to bits. The scenery from above was quite something else and even as an Australian local, it was breathtaking. Perhaps Luigi can provide his view on this, as it was a fair few years ago now, and what is offered may have changed a little.

I totally second the sentiments about maximizing the time, rather than spending half of it driving. Tasmania is such an underrated tourist location, and in many respects, it is because of that, much of it is unspoiled. I would take Tasmania as a travel destination over many more media documented locations in Australia.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days /Hobart

Thanks Luigi and KVE1005. If we did want to try to see snow (we plan to visit in late June) is Mt Field the closest option to Hobart? I have seen snow on Mt Wellington a few times on previous trips but the kids would like enough to build a snowman :)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,528 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days /Hobart

Your best bet in June will still be Mount Wellington. Mount Field will have more snow and it'll last longer, but you usually have to wait until late JulyAugust for big snow falls.

Par Avion is good and is just about the only way to get into the south-west wilderness easily. http://paravion.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,059 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days /Hobart

Absolute pleasure.

I'm really not knowledgeable enough to advise you about the snow, but I'm certain Luigi can help you there.

One little add...

I've been to Strahan twice, and both times I took the scenic cruise. I found that when the boat gets to the turning point by the giant rocks, the fumes from the funnel were overwhelming, and I felt a little nauseas. Perhaps after taking photos, the kids maybe better off inside. That's of course if you plan on going on the cruise.

Missoula
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days /Hobart

OM ! SNOW ?! You want to see SNOW ! :-) I am sitting here in 2 feet of it. Have already had more, but then got some rain. Before we leave to come to Australia (Mid-March) we will have another foot for sure and possibly more! Having said all of that. How much exterior clothing will we need for Tasmania in first week of April ?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,528 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days /Hobart

It's mid-autumn (fall) so the weather is "changeable". The days are mostly fine with occasional showers, but it's starting to get quite cold at night. The accommodation you choose needs to have good heating.

You need to dress in layers to cope with the weather changes. You need a light wind/waterproof outer layer which you should carry on any walks you do, even if the weather seems fine.

There won't be any snow except rarely on the tops of the highest mountains in April.