We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 6 days

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 6 days

Hello guys

We will visit Tasmania for 6 days in December. We fly from Sydney to Hobart, hire car and fly back from Launceston.

I am trying to build a detailed itinerary, however it does not seem many detailed itinerary I can find online. What I mean by detailed itinerary is like Day 1 Hobart to visit Salamanca markets, constitution docks, parliament house an St Davids Park. Any suggestion where I can find or any book I should buy? I found tasmania.com which provides very detailed itinerary but the fee does look expensive I did not enquiry.

We will arrive in Hobart around 10 in the morning on Friday. We plan to stay in Hobart on Friday and Saturday to visit Hobart, Port Arthur and Mt Wellington.

Sunday going to Strahan and Mt Cradle Lake St Clair.

Monday will be driving from Mt Cradle to Launceston in the afternoon

Tuesday to spend full day in Launceston

Wednesday in Launceston until night time fly back to Sydney.

Can you guys help me out to see if it is reasonable? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,884 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

I really think you can find that information on this website.

Start by taking a look at the Top Questions on the right of the Tasmania forum page - especially the one titled Touring by Car. Also look at the other pages including the Top 10 Must Sees. There's also a Top Question that links to all the Things To Do in the Travel Guide for each town in the state.

Then peruse the Top Questions for the Hobart and Launceston forum pages.

The particular thing you also need to absorb is the distances involved as well. Tasmania is an island, but it's very big. So on Sunday, it will take you five hours just to drive from Hobart to Strahan. You certainly don't have time to also drive to Cradle Moyuntain that day. And it's not worthwhile going to Strahan unless you devote an entire day (or two) to do the Gordon River Cruise (and the Wilderness Railway).

You would be better off taking a more leisurely trip via the east coast - with the first night's stop near Freycinet National Park, then to Launceston, and then to Cradle. (Cradle is a 5 hour drive from Hobart via the most direct route.)

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

Many thanks, Luigi :)

I did not include east coast in the itinerary because I thought we would not have time to do both east and west coast.

Are you suggesting we drive from Hobart to Freycinet on Sunday morning (2.5 hour drive, isn't it?) and stay a night then drive to Cradle Mountain on Monday morning (4.5 hours). stay a night at Cradle Mountain, then drive to Launceston on Tuesday lets say afternoon (2 hours). Stay a night in Launceston and stroll a full day in Launceston until we go to airport at night. Do you think we will have enough time to enjoy?

Thanks!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,884 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

I think that is a far more achievable plan. It would be even easier if you stopped in Launceston for a night on the way from Freycinet.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
109 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

Thanks again Luigi. Is there any hotel recommended? The budget is $150-$250 per night.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,884 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

Almost every hotel in Launceston will come in under that price, so you could take your pick: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255344-Launceston…

Kurrajong House is good: http://www.kurrajonghouse.com.au/index.html

6. Re: Itinerary for 6 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 12, 2013