We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

Hi, my husband and I are cruising to NZ, via Hobart. The ship docks 10am-7pm. We want to self tour, by first visiting the Museum of Old & New Art, which is on Main Rd, Berriedale. It is about 15mins from the Ports. There are two terminals - Macquarie Wharf & Princes Wharf. Not sure which one Voyager of the Seas is going to. But we can walk to wherever a bus can take us.

Can anyone advise where we can catch a bus to MONA at any time in the morning after 10am from the ship vicinity?

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Mona
Mona
5,120 Reviews
Berriedale, Australia
Southern 4WD Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Personalised Tasmanian Tours
Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Wine Tours & Tastings
Tassie Road Trips
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tassie Tours Tasmania
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,183 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

The cruise ship docking schedule is here: tasports.com.au/port_services/arrivalscruise…

You'll be at Macquarie 4, which is shown on this map: tasports.com.au/pdf/Tasports_Port_Info_Hobar…

The definitive "how to get to MONA" page is here: http://mona.net.au/visit/getting-here/

You could catch a bus from the Franklin Square bus terminal, but it'd be a 10 to 15 minute walk from the cruise ship in there anyway.

Better would be to get the coach from the MONA ferry terminus at the Brooke Street pier, but there are none between 9 30am and 1pm..

Best would be to catch the 11am ferry from the Brooke Street pier. Book the ferry on the MONA website.

The Brooke Street pier is #13 on the map link above.

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Mona
Mona
5,120 Reviews
Berriedale, Australia
Brooke Street Pier
Brooke Street Pier
117 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

The ferry is probably the best way to arrive anyway.

Ipswich, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

Thank you! so very helpful. Might do ferry up and coach back. Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

Hi Alison, can you let me know whether you made it to the Mona Exhibition from the boat and was it easy to get there and back, in time? We're going on the Oosterdam in January 2013 and I was asking the same question: i.e.

how do we get to get to the Mona Exhibition from the Oosterdam? which docks at Macquarie 3 wharf. No doubt someone else will tell me but if you see my question, maybe you can also tell me how you managed! Thanks, Sandra F

Mentioned in this post
Mona
Mona
5,120 Reviews
Berriedale, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

Although Im unfamiliar with the bus routes in Hobart, I found it cheaper for 2 people to hire a small car and drive to MONA than catching the ferry.Parking was reasonably plentiful despite the contrary claims of the MONA website, & I had the added convenience of having the car to get about town & explore.

I think the gallery was well worth a visit & I found it interesting. Definitely enough to keep you there for the best part of a day.

I might try doing some research & reporting back here regarding possible bus transport but a local might possibly offer some more accurate advice in the meantime....

If you're in a group of 3 or more, a taxi may even be a convenient/economical option...

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Mona
Mona
5,120 Reviews
Berriedale, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,183 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

I've answered this on your other thread, Sandra. For others who find this, the best way to get to MONA from the city is on the ferry MV Mona from the Brooke Street pier.

Details about it (and other ways of getting to MONA) are here: http://mona.net.au/visit/getting-here/

Use the "Buy tickets" link on that page to book the ferry.

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Mona
Mona
5,120 Reviews
Berriedale, Australia
Brooke Street Pier
Brooke Street Pier
117 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
7. Re: Bus from Hobart Cruise Terminal to MONA Mon 10 Dec 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, December 15, 2013