We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Hello all, can anyone suggest apartment accommodation for a family of four in Hobart? Must have kitchen facilities on ground floor. Also what is approximate temperature in Hobart in December? Thanks in advance. Peta.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Average temperatures are 10 to 20 C.

There are quite few self-catering places in Hobart. Is there a particular reason why you want a ground floor rather than lift access?? "Ground floor" will tend to push you out into the suburban motels, while a lift would make most/many of the inner urban hotels with self-catering apartments suitable.

And if you are planning to be there in the last week of December, book now.

Luigi

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Thanks Luigi, yes was just thinking Hobart probably caters more for the 'hotel' crowd. Prefer ground floor as we have two kids and I'm not a fan of elevators, especially with bags, luggage, groceries etc. What about Bridgewater? We will have our own car.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,541 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Take a look at this one which is up that way: http://www.riverfronthobart.com/

Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Hi Peta,

Nothing wrong with lifts Peta - better than lugging luggage up stairs and generally a lot more secure also. Maybe have a look on sites such as Wotif and Stayz and select 'self contained apartment ', '2 bedroom' in search criteria. This will bring up a big range of options, as well as detailing whether there is a full kitchen or kitchenette (a big difference if you have a family to feed and seat).

Stayz has a good interactive map search option- helps to work out what accommodation is where, and really good if you like being near somewhere particular such as the waterfront, city centre, Battery Point and Salamanca etc. or out in the burbs. Generally speaking accommodation is much cheaper in the burbs but you get what you pay for I spose.

Happy hunting.

Kim

Bridgewater is pretty much outer suburb Peta, and some of that area has large public housing estates.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Thanks Kim, good to know about these suburbs - I was just looking at a map and it looked kind of nice. Anyway, might have to settle on a high rise apartment. I still hate lifts though, they always give me travel sickness. I work on the fourth floor of a hospital and always take the stairs. I get a tad claustrophobic as well, especially if it stops all floors - ugh.

I've looked at Stayz etc. Most of these sites only cater for a couple of months into the future - we are looking at Christmas and nothing is cheap then anyway. Might look at Battery Point and Salamanca. Thanks Kim.

6. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, May 16, 2013
Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Hi petal, like Luigi and Kimandcheryl, I'd suggest going for something closer to the city. You should be able to find something that isn't "high rise" without too much trouble. Bridgewater is a long way out, and doesn't have the same character as the inner parts of Hobart.

tasmania
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

Definately not Bilgewater...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

We stayed at St Ives, in Battery Point. Exterior looks dated, very 60's, but great internal fit out. Bedrooms upstairs, kitchen/ dine/ lounge/ balcony downstairs. It has lifts. Andstairs. We had no problem with kids/ luggage. Great location, walk down the hill to Salamanca to eat. Recommend it.

10. Re: Family accommodation in Hobart - Dec 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:52 pm, May 15, 2013