We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Tasmania in July

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Tasmania in July

Hi all,

My friends and I are thinking of visiting tasmania in july, flying into hobart either from sydney or melbourne. Got a couple of qns that I hope some of you could help answer?

1) I understand it will be cold, but still good for travelling. Is that true?

2) We are thinking of a 3-4 days stay in tasmania. visiting Salamanca markets(on a Sat, as recommended!), Cradle mountain, wineglass bay, and Tasman Penisula cruise. Just to check, is the Tasman Penisula cruise the one that allows you to watch dolphins and whales? Are these places good places to visit in July, when it is wintertime?

3) Are there any particular places that are a must visit that I have not listed above? Or any place that is only uniquely available in winter?

4) What's the average cost of a meal and accomodation in Tasmania?

5) We might also rent a car to get around in tasmania. Is it advisable to do that in winter? And if we do drive up to cradle mountain, is it dangerous at that time of the year or do we need snow tires?

Please do help to add on places I should visit in July when in Tasmania! Thanks for all your help!

Joshua

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Believe me Joshua you will notice the change in temperature from Singapore to tasmania.I was in Singapore last week and working in Tassie this week.So from temperatures of 30C+ last week to arriving at work this week with the temperature at-1C.And it was a lovely sunny day.

However it is easy to put on a couple of extra layers and keep warm.The winter light on these clear days is magnificent and it really was beautiful looking out over Bass strait or back over the Western Tiers.So sightseeing is still worthwhile.As others have said with your short time here concentrate your trip in one area.

As to food prices they really aren't bad compared to Singapore.Sure you dont have the really cheap Hawker centres but cafes and restaurants are really not to different in prices.If you are into the better restaurants and drink wine they are a lot cheaper than Singapore.

12. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 17, 2013
Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Hi,

Im visiting Tassie in July as well,

My partner and i went last year for three and a half days and it honestly wasn't enough time, thats why we're going back again :)

I personally didnt enjoy Salamanca I found that we wasted our day going there :( it was just like all the markets i have around my area.

in the three days that we were there we managed to go to Port Arthur, i suggest going, the history is interesting and it is a beautiful area.

Have Fun :)

14. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, May 21, 2013
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Welcome to the forums, Alice-Mary.

It's worthwhile checking the date of a thread before you post. This one is a year old - but almost topical again. :))

Luigi

hobart
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

just thanks Luigi

mary j

Sydney, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Hey mary j /alice-mary

Your post may have been a little late but I'm travelling to Tasmania in July (2013) and the comments you made were of a lot of interest to me.

Thanks

Alli

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Hi all, I am coming in July for 4 days, Tues - late Saturday. I read the advice above about going up to the top of Mt Wellington in the afternoon if is snows o/night.

I will not have a car, so am wondering if I can get up to the top? I'm at the Fountainside. (Does the airport shuttle bus drop off there - I think I read that it is or was the first drop off?)

I plan to go to MONA, the market, the Museum, and I'd like to see the Bot Gargens (how to get there?), wander, drink coffee, do some walks ... open to any other ideas plse.

Thanks for any potential help.

Edited: 3:52 am, June 06, 2013
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Yes, the airport shuttle will drop you off at Fountainside and you'll probably be first as Fountainside is at the first big roundabout into the city.

The Mount Wellington Shuttle does trips up the mountain twice a day from the Tourist Info Centre at the bottom end of Elizabeth Street near the docks - an easy walk from Fountainside. http://www.hobartshuttlebus.com/

The botanical gardens are really just across the road (tunnel under the roundabout) from Fountainside. Just ask at reception for directions.

Take a browse through the Top Questions on the right of this page for more ideas.

Luigi

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Visiting Tasmania in July

Thanks Luigi, those sound like a nice solid start to my plans.