We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a self drive itinerary for around 7 days starting from Hobart - Freycinet - St Helens/Bay of Fires - Launceston - Cradle Mountain - back to Launceston again. Unfortunately we won't have enough time (nor does it fit in the budget) to stay at both Freycinet or St Helens. What is more worthwhile seeing? We would probably bypass both, but only stay at one and not the other.

Thanks so much!

Nia

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

I think that Freycinet is more impressive as a destination. However, it would be fairly easy to leave Hobart, see Freycinet, then drive to St Helens or Binalong Bay in a single day. So what is most scenic isn't necessarily where you would stay for the night.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,704 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Another vote for Freycinet - a beautiful region of Tassie.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Hi

I would definately see Freycinet. This is really lovely. We stayed at the Freycinet Lodge in a beautiful cabin and it was well worth the money.

I was very unimpressed with St Helens/Bay of Fires, and wouldn't really bother returning there. If you can fit this in on a day drive do so, but not worth staying there.

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Thanks so much for both of your suggestions! We've decided we will stay at Freycinet for a night and just drive up to St Helens for a day drive on our way to Launceston. Also, do you guys have suggestions for any activities worth doing at Freycinet?

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

The Activities tab on this page lists things to do in the park.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=3363

The usual tourist thing is to do the walk to Wineglass Lookout.

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Thanks again Luigi, you've been a great help. I'm definitely keen to do a few of the half day walks... they sound amazing! I have heard that Wineglass Bay is a must so I'll keep that in mind as well.

What do you think about The Freycinet paddle tour?

freycinetadventures.com.au/freycinet-sea-kay…

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

I think the Freycinet paddle would be excellent if you have the time. freycinetadventures.com.au/freycinet-sea-kay…

Also take a look at the Bicheno penguin tour if you're staying in that area overnight. http://www.bichenopenguintours.com.au/

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Thanks for the tip about Bicheno Penguins - will add that one to the list as well.

I'm struggling to find 1 night accommodation in the Freycinet area. Freycinet Lodge does look amazing but it's a little bit out of our price range, and besides we're treating ourselves with 2 nights at Cradle Chalet so we need to keep in mind budgeting. Last question (I promise!) - any recommendations on where we can get a booking for 1 night?

Thanks again.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

Freycinet NP itself and nearby Coles Bay have very limited accommodation choices anyway because it's a small place. And - as you've discovered - everyone wants a two night minimum booking, especially in summer.

If you're planning on doing the Bicheno penguin tour, take a look at accommodation there. It's a bigger place. The motel kinda places there should be OK with a one night stay.

Listings here: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g261650-Bicheno_Ta…

And don't forget to click on the "Other Accommodation" button under Property Type.

Bicheno Hideaway appeals to me.

Luigi

Level Contributor
25 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Freycinet or Bay of Fires?

We recently stayed at Bicheno Cabin Park it was great reasonable price, very clean and the cabins appeared very new.