We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing on totem pole and diving in Tasman National Park

Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Climbing on totem pole and diving in Tasman National Park

Hi all !!

I am Jeffrey. I am doing my backpack around Australia. Just back from NZ after finishing the bungy jump and caving. I am now in melbourne earning some money for my next stop to Tas.

I am pretty keen on ex-sport even though i am not too good at it...haha

I search on Tasman National Park and the famous Australian Wonders-Totem pole & Candlestick are in there..

My question is :

1)I wish to do the rock climbing. Is there any company/organisation organise tour/activities for that ? (including all the gear & guide) If do, any idea how much would that be ? It would be great if there is any website that you known...

2) I wish to do diving there as well...any tour/organisation(Gear & guide provided) recommened? How much ?

3) How many days usually spend in the park ? cause it seems pretty large..shown on the net that we can sleep over night there and some spot can only be reached by car ...

Thank you so much !!!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing on totem pole and diving in Tasman National Park

You've probably found this website on Tasman National Park: www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?id=3868

Almost none of the coastline of the Tasman National Park is directly accessible by car. You'd need to drive to the Tasman Peninsula, park then walk several kilometres to get to the Candlestick or Totem Pole.

Rock climbing is a popular activity in Tasmania, but it's usually a private venture. The only company offering this that I know of works in Cataract Gorge in Launceston. adrenalin.com.au/climb-abseil-cataract-gorge…

You could search the web, but this is the best I can find on the government tourism website: discovertasmania.com/activities__and__attrac…

And this blog site: http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/display/thesarvo/Tasman+Peninsula

I'd contact these people if you really want to do it. Don't try to do it alone if you are not expert.

Regarding diving, there's a lot of info in this thread from a little while ago: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k4…

Hope this helps,

Luigi

Edited: 4:20 am, September 19, 2011
Perth, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing on totem pole and diving in Tasman National Park

Hi luigi !!

Thanks for your info !!! It helps !!!!

I am also doing the online-research and my inital plan is : Doing rock climbing & diving in "Hobart & Surrounds" area. Because i fly from Mel and arrive in Hobart area...

I have no car,so i will set my base in Hobart. But, of course i don't mind to hire a car driving to the beautiful national Park...

Based on info i got from net,

1) I may do diving around Bruny Island/Eaglehawk neck etc ..cause the kelp forest there is really beautiful & attractive. A few diving company based around hobart as well..

2) Sight-seeing & Rock-climbing in Tasman National Park.

3) Other sight -seeing around Hobart area

Launceston & other areas in Tasmania will also be very attractive and worth to go !! However,at this stage, i am limited by my budget...

In fact,in terms of natural environment/wildness, is there is any significant difference between East & West coast ?.. Is West Coast better than other areas ?( Sorry for being a bit dumb asking this kind question..i have to consider the time & cost driving from Hobart to West Coast )

The website i am looking at: hobarttravelcentre.com.au/things_to_do/15150…

Your time & help is much appreciated !!!!

Jeffrey

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing on totem pole and diving in Tasman National Park

I think you will find it much easier to travel around Hobart and the east coast if you don't have your own car. And I think that the Tasman Peninsula has some of Tasmania's most beautiful coastline.

That website is the one for Hobart City Council's main tourist information centre in Elizabeth Street near the docks. They are very reliable.

Luigi

Edited: 6:12 am, September 19, 2011
4. Re: Climbing on totem pole and diving in Tasman National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 23, 2012