We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend getaway for two

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend getaway for two

Hi all - my husband and I are planning a 4 day trip for a short getaway. Any suggestions on sights/restaurants/places to visit?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend getaway for two

Hi,

There are plenty of things to do in Hobart. Are you planning in hiring a car ??

1,Mona Art Gallery / Museum. - Number 1 NEW Attraction.

2.The Salamanca Markets are held every Saturday in Salamanca Place.

3.Drive up to the top of Mount Wellington and see the magnicient views.

4.If time permits - Port Arthur is located 100kms south - east on the Tasman Peninsula and takes approx 1.5hrs drive.

5.Mt Field is a gorgeous National Park and easy to drive from Hobart.

have a read through the link below it will give you some suggestions regarding what to do in Hobart. Also have a read through the FAQ's which are located on your right hand side of the screen. They have heaps of valuable tips.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

Restaurants- ones I have enjoyed.

1. henry jones art hotel - dining room.

2. The Point - Sandy Bay

3. Fish Frenzy - Elizabeth Pier Hobart.

4. Marque IV - Elizabeth Pier.

5. Ethos - 100 Elizabeth Street -Hobart.

6. Garagisters - 103 Murray Street. Hobart

Edited: 3:45 am, August 03, 2011
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend getaway for two

Hi there - thank you so much for the detailed tips! Will definitely consider most, if not all of those suggestions. We are thinking of hiring a car so that we could do a few of those scenic drives!

Thanks again, this is all huge help for me!

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend getaway for two

Louisa's walk is a fantastic way to learn about Hobart's convict past. It's also near the Cascade Brewery where you can taste the beers and have a bite to eat. Reviews here. OH and I loved it. Even if it was a bit chilly the time of year we went.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g255097-d5…

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend getaway for two

Thanks for that! The other thing I had meant to ask was the weather - just how cold is Tasmania in end of August? A few friends have advised us to wait until spring because apparently it is unbearably cold... is this true?

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend getaway for two

Well, yes.

Average August temperature over the last 30 years is 13.8 max and 5.0 min for Hobart. But not much worse than Melbourne, really. ;)

Gives you a feel for how it must have been for the convicts with only a thin blanket and a bit of straw to sleep on.

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_094008.shtml

6. Re: Weekend getaway for two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 07, 2012