We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrailia & Tasmania in July

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Austrailia & Tasmania in July

I've planned five week vacation throughout Austrailia and Tasmania during the month of July. After reading the posts, I'm a little concerned with the weather and how cold it'll be in some locations. I'm from Canada, and I understand the concept of a cold winter, but what should I be packing in my suitcase?! (I'll be in Melbourne, Sydney, Alice Springs, Darwin, Cairnes and Hobart.) A good rain jacket seems in good order, but will I need mitts and a tuque to walk around Hobart and Port Arthur?

Any help with my silly questions is greatly appreciated!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Austrailia & Tasmania in July

Alice Springs is in the desert in central Aus and it can be very cold at night out there. But then it may be cold for we thin blooded Aussies and not those from colder climates. Nevertheless, we have had people over from Slovakia where they have -30deg and they said our winters are cold.

We are just getting around to central heating in some homes and as we Queenslanders are usually only getting a short winter, we usually don't bother with fireplaces or even central heating and occasionally drag out a heater.

SO you will have a mix...hotels will be centrally heated but peoples homes may not be and some may not even put the heater on at all.

Here I sit in Sunny Queensland in my bloocher boots, with frozen hands as I type....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Austrailia & Tasmania in July

Hi,

Just bring a warm jacket for Tassie ( scarf / umbrella / gloves)

the above will help you in Uluru at night and also in Melbourne.

Cairns, Darwin , & the Whitsundays are beautiful in July, - nice and warm..

So you need to think about layers when packing.

Sydney / Melbourne / Hobart - will require a warm jacket.

Cairns / Whitsundays / Darwin / Uluru - summer clothes with good luck.

13. Re: Austrailia & Tasmania in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, October 02, 2012