We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Hi all, this is my first time travel to Tasmania with my husband. I'm planning a 4 days 3 nights in Tasmania. Will arrive at Hobart on 19/08/09, morning and leaving on 22/08/09, morning.

We hope to travel from Hobart to Cradle Mount, wonder whether is possible. And if so, what is the driving time because we are planning to hire a car at Hobart.

Please give me some ideas on places best to travel due to our limited day stay in Tasmania.

Thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

You can drive from Hobart to Cradle Mountain but be warned the roads can be winding and the distances can be deceptive and it can take longer than you think. 4 days isn't very long for a visit to Tasmania. Please watch out for animals on the roads, and observe the strict speed limits such as along the road from the visitors centre to the Cradle Mountain carpark, or take the shuttle minibus instead. Oh, I just realised you're coming in August. Then you might have snow to contend with too. If the main thing you are interested in is Cradle Mountain then it would be better to fly to Launceston instead of Hobart.

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Thanks for the advice. The Cradle Mountain is not the main destination but it seems like is one of the must go attraction from the web. Unfortunately i have booked the air-tickets and landed at Hobart. So, looks like I have no choice to make do with it this time.

Do you know what is the driving time from Hobart to Cradle Mountain? Is that 4 to 5 hours? Or shall I give it a miss for Cradle Mountain this time.

I am planning to stay in Hobart on 19th Aug, my 1st day and visiting Port Arthur, Tasman Peninsula, if time permit will also do Freychinet Peinisula and Coles Bay.

Any suggest as in how I should plan for my trip to start from Hobart and end at Hobart.

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Tas Singapore, as you've booked your flights, you're probably better off doing as you say in your second post.

Go to Port Arthur, then head up the East Coast to Freycinet, then head across via the B34 to Campbelltown, then south thru historic Ross and Oatlands toward Hobart. On the way to Hobart, also visit Bonorong Wildlife Park near Brighton. Then arrive back in Hobart in time for Salamanca Markets on the Saturday.

That's a small circle which gives you a good taste of Tassie in four days.

Come back again to do Launceston, Cradle and Strahan.

Enjoy your trip,

Luigi

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

How about having a long drive from Hobart to Cradle Mount on 20th August and travel towards Hobart as we have to catch the flight on 22nd August at 1000am.

My itinery would be:

Day 1(19/8-Wednesday) - Hobart, Port Arthur, Richmond, Mt Wellington

Day 2(20/8-Thursday) - drive all the way to Cradle Mount, Cardle valley

Day 3(21/8-Friday) - Launceston and back to Hobart.

Day 4(22/8-Saturday) - flying out of Tasmania in am. Have to give the market a miss cos no time permit.

Is the above doable?

Sorry I know this is kind of change of mind to my earlier plan as I wish to maximise the things I cound do in Tasmania.

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Yep, that'll work too.

The difference is that you've decided that Cradle Mountain is better than Freycinet, which it probably is. And you're driving a bit further - out and back trips, rather than a circle - but it's doable in the time without busting a gut.

Just try to see as much of the Heritage Highway as you can on the trip up and back. Make sure you take the little detours into Oatlands and Ross. And Bonorong is still worth the look, just to see a devil.

Luigi

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Don't worry about missing Cradle Mountain. My first visit was just a stop for an hour or two and we got some mediocre pictures on a cloudy day. The next trip included I think four days at Cradle Mountain, and we spent some of the time reading and playing pool and waiting for the rain to stop and the clouds to lift so that we could even see the mountain. That part of the world doesn't get to look like it does without rain. We felt it was absolutely worth it for us, and we spent about two days hiking, but it's a long way to go just to tick off a view. If you love Tasmania you'll visit again. Otherwise the itinerary Luigi has suggested covers a great range of Tasmanian experiences, and you can think about some of the mainland "must do's" like Uluru or the GBR next time. Don't feel you have to tick off everything, see what appeals to YOU most :-)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

I'm sorry, I checked a couple of times for further answers and there weren't any and now there are, and in the meantime I had a few interruptions.

The turn-off to Port Arthur is on the road north so does it make sense to return to Hobart? I'm not sure (we were continuing on to Freycinet and overnighting in Port Arthur suited us).

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Thanks guys, at least now I have a better idea of the planning. I will give a miss to Cradle Mountain this time.

How about the accommodation and car hire? We are thinking of the convertible though it's cold there for now...Any suggestion?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,993 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Convertible: bad idea

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time travel to Tasmania - 4 days 3 nights

Yes it is cold and potentially a bad idea to have a rented convertible for touring around Tassie - but on the other hand it is definitely an experience! My OH and I had a convertible for several years, and simply turned up the heating and wore beanies and gloves in winter when traveling about out state. Matter of choice and comfort. They can also limit the amount of luggage and space, so something else to consider.

Sorry, do you mean you are looking for accommodation ideas too?