We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fountainside Hotel

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Fountainside Hotel

My wife and I are taking my 81 year old father-in-law and his partner to Hobart for a long week end as Tasmania is somewhere he has always wanted to visit.

Last year we took them to Melbourne and he absolutely loved the fact that there was a pub literally around the corner from where we were staying.

Based on TA members' ratings, we are looking at staying at the Fountainside Hotel (he insists on paying for his accommodation - a proud man).

My question is: are there any pubs close by for him to enjoy a "cleansing ale" at the end of the evening?

Cheers,

Gary

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fountainside Hotel

Hi Gary

from memory (although someone without a fuzzy, jet lagged brain will hopefully correct me!), although there isnt a pub as such around the corner, the Fountainside is very close to the Hobart Waterfront and Macquarie Street where a lot of pubs are located. This will mean no more than a 5-10 minute walk to a good choice of pubs, hopefully one that meets the taste of your father-in-law. The Hope and Anchor on Macquarie Street, Hog's Breath bar on the corner, and the bars at other local hotels such as the Baaa Bar at the Old Woolstore and the Grand Chancellor's offerings could be what you are after.

If I think or see anything else of interest I will let you know!

Hope you have a great trip to Hobart,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fountainside Hotel

The Fountainside is on the big round-about on the Brooker Highway (the main road into town from the airport) right at the big Liverpool Street intersection into the CBD. As RedPanda says, it's also walking distance to the waterfront. You won't have any problems finding a pub on just about every street corner.

Luigi

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fountainside Hotel

The "pub around the corner" from the Fountainside would be The Theatre Royal Hotel http://www.theatreroyalhotel.com/

about 1 min walk via Sackville St

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fountainside Hotel

The Theatre Royal would be ideal. The nearest water front offerings are more bars in u[marjet hotels. Further along the waterfront toward and in the Salamanca are and probably not easy walking for a 80yo are more pub like places.

The Hope and Anchor once known locally as the 'Dope and Wanker' has probably cleaned up its act over recent years, but is not as close as Theatre Royal.

Sydney
Level Contributor
41 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fountainside Hotel

Thank you everyone for you contributions and assistance - once again, the TA 'family' comes through.

cheers and take care,

Gary

6. Re: Fountainside Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2010