We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hobart Airport to Port Arthur - Itinerary Along the way?

Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hobart Airport to Port Arthur - Itinerary Along the way?

Hello, really looking forward to returning to Tasmania for the third time. This time we are only there for 3 nights but travelling with another couple and their two childeren(12 and 14). We have booked 1 nights accomodation near Port Arthur and 2 nights in Hobart.

Plan is to pick up hire car Friday lunch time then head down to Port Arthur. We are booked in for 9pm ghost tour so have plenty of time to get there.

Can anyone help with ideas of way to travel to maximise our journey so that we can take in the sites along the way. I was thinking we could head from airport to somewhere like Bicheno for lunch and then down coast. But that is similar to what we have done before so I may be reverting to what i know rather than looking for new things to see or do.

On the Saturday morning our friends will go back to Port Arthur site with the childeren. Any suggestions on what my partner and I can see or do for a few hours whilst they are at the settlement? We are happy to just enjoy beautiful scenery.

In afternoon head up to Hobart, an hour or so at Salamanca markets at the end of the day for us ladies and then settle in to apartment, enjoy our surrounding by the wharf.

Sunday would love some suggestions for spending the day? We are thinking of doing a drive in the Huon valley but again would love some suggestions on how to maximise our time.

Love the spontinaity of exploring and letting what ever takes our fancy eventuating but with such a short time we want to make sure we show our friends the best of Hobart surrounds so your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The Lady Nelson
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Boat Tours
Wineglass Bay Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tassie Tours Tasmania
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hobart Airport to Port Arthur - Itinerary Along the way?

I'd suggest maybe giving Bicheno a miss given the time available as it is about a 2 hour drive to Bicheno from Hobart Airport then about a 2.5 hour drive back to Port Arthur. Maybe go to Richmond for lunch - not far from the airport then make you way to Port Arthur stopping at the Officer's Mess at Eaglehawk Neck and the coastal sites around Pirates Bay - the Blowhol, Devil's Kitchen & Tasmans arch are all pretty spectacular.

Re the next day. There are a lot of shorter walks on the Tasman Peninsula such as Canoe Bay (starts from Fortescue Bay) Waterfall Bay (starts from Devil's Kitchen car park, or part of Crescent Bay walk (starts from Remarkable Cave car park) . Be sure to allow time if you want to visit the market as it is about an hor and a quarter drive to Hobart from Port Arthur and the market ends at about 3pm.

I'll let some Huon locals answer the Sunday issue!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hobart Airport to Port Arthur - Itinerary Along the way?

Huon I suggest the Tahune Airwalk about one to one &half hour hour drive from Hobart (half hour from Geeveston). If you are interested in caves you could also go to Hastings Caves (about another hour).

On the way back if you like driving, turn right over the Huon River and follow Channel Hwy through Cygnet, Kettering etc. There are lots of interesting things on the way.

An alternate idea is to get the Peppermint Bay Cruise and have lunch down there and cruise back.

Level Contributor
169 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hobart Airport to Port Arthur - Itinerary Along the way?

Wonderful, thanks for the great suggestions.

4. Re: Hobart Airport to Port Arthur - Itinerary Along the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 22, 2009