We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast 7 days

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
East Coast 7 days

We have decided to do the east coast after talking to a few people who thought we would waste too much time going to the west wilderness. Where do you suggest we go, we were planning to fly in and out of Hobart. Or are we better flying out of Launceston. Still have undedcided on a car hir/hotel or campervan. The first is more to my liking, makes it more of a holiday. Thanks in advance

melbourne
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast 7 days

Hi

Hobart is better to fly in and out of, A car and Motel is the way to go, lots of hills in Hobart so car is easier.

You can visit the cadbury choc factory and take a tour have to wear enclosed shoes tho or they will not let you do it, or you can just go to the shop there where they sell giant blocks and also odd shape choc, really good value especially if its round Easter time.

There is a town called Richmond and it is a lovely scenic place to visitinteresting shops.very old fashioned town and a great bridge, great for photos.

On saturadays they have a market in hobart where they sell the most wonderful and unusual goods, most of it is hand made and lots of heon pine bowls etc. the market is call salamanca market.The market is surounded by galleries and sandstone buildings its a real buzz and a must visit.

Hope you enjoy your visit

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast 7 days

Hi

Just thought I would mention that cadbury tours are closed (have been for around 6 months +)

There is a visitors centre however

Have you priced flying into one airport and out of the other?

Also is 7 days the entire length of your trip?

Maybe you could head to Hobart, do the Tasman Peninsula & head up the east coast from there. At the end you would have a day maybe 2 in Launceston.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast 7 days

We fly in on the Friday and fly out on the Sunday. I can only get so much time off work, do not like to take too much with the economy the way it is. However we are going back later in the year for a conference in Hobart.Thanks for the info.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast 7 days

Ideally you'd be better off flying into one and flying out of the other. This is what i'll be doing when i arrive in March. That way you don't have to back track at all. The East coast is amazing. One of my fav places to travel in the world. For example, if you were flying into Hobart you could spend some time exploring there then head north. My fav spots on the East coast are Maria Island, Freycinet NP/Coles Bay, Bicheno and the Bay of Fires. Then head inland to Launceston through the fingal valley from St Marys (via the A4) or for a longer trip with the potential for lots of stops along the way at places of interest, head to Launceston via the A3 from St Helens. My parents live on the North East coast in a small town called Beaumaris, a little south of St Helens. The beaches all along here are devine and the best thing is you'll have them all to yourself. On a sunny still day the beaches along the bay of fires are spectacular. However on a rough cloudy day it takes on a totally different turn and you'll wonder what the heck i'm talking about.

Hope this helps a little.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
37 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast 7 days

If you cut inland through St Mary's then you are actually missing our on NE Tasmania. If you want the complete East experience I recommend continuing north from St Helens to Branxholm. This little town is the geograhoic centre of NE Tasmania. If you stay one/two nights here you can visit beaches, mountains & waterfall and the wineries without having to retrace your steps. All attractions are within 1 - 2 hours drive. For example you will be 1-2 hours from Eddystone Point, Mt William Nat Pk and Policemans Pt; and Ralph Falls, St Columba Falls & Halls Falls; and the best of the Northern wineries (and the lavender farm)!

I recommend arriving in Hobart and leaving through Launceston. One night in Hobart, one night Freycinet/Coles Bay, one night Bicheno, one night St Helens, one night Branxholm/Derby, last night in/around Launceston.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast 7 days

Sorry, i meant to say, head north of St Helens, time pending (to Ansons Bay and Eddystone as mentioned by the previous poster) then either head to Launceston via either the A4 or A3 via pyangana, scottsdale etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Coast 7 days

Perfect Choice - East Coast is gorgeous!

If its a quick trip, dont miss Richmond(gorgeous lil English-type town)- short drive nth from the airport; Freycinet / Wineglass Bay Lookout - be prepared/quite a decent climb to the top (+ few other short easy walks on the way to Wineglass Bay Lookout); Bicheno /Blowhole/Penguins; St Helens/Binalong Bay.

Maria Island is magical but if time is short it wld be unlikely u cld fit a whole day in and the ferry goes at 9am and picks up at 5pm ! (Maria Island was our favourite)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Coast 7 days

East Coast is beautiful - especially Binalong Bay (a short drive from St. Helens) We stayed at Binalong Bay and it was so lovely laying in bed hearing the sound of the waves on the beach. White, white sand and turquoise water. The beach has a beautiful walk to rocks covered in orange moss (looks like they are on fire). Not to be missed. Also a drive a bit further on to The Gardens well worth it as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
202 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Coast 7 days

Just remembered also on the way between St. Helens and Launceston go via Pyengana - well worth it for the St. Columbia Falls and the famous Pub in a Paddock (great food and atmosphere) There is also a cheese factory at Pyengana plus a cafe.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Coast 7 days

Oh yes - totally agree with kks - Pyengana Waterfalls are gorgeous and you just have to stop at Pub in a Paddock !! ... Try a Tassie Beer - a Boags in a stubbie bottle ! The staff are fun and welcoming ! I asked for a 'Bo - ags' - they laughed their heads off! Its a quaint lil place worth the stop !!

East Coast is just beautiful!