We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendations

We will be in Hobart middle of June 2009. I have read many of the reviews on TA of various hotels,etc. We are well traveled, 58-60 of age, normally stay in Marriott properties. We will not have a car, using instead day trips outside of Hobart. I know that it will be 'cold' in Hobart during this time, but, we are from Chicago, and cold is relative....(as I write this it is 20F and we just finished shoveling 5 inches of snow/ice!).

We would like a hotel close walking distance to pubs/restaurants,etc.

I checked out the reviews of the Fountainside, but I am hestitant since it was a former Best Western and the rates are much lower than any other property, which makes me wonder?

What are the opinions of you experts on The Lenna of Hobart, the Customs House?

Thanks so much...... (and make our snow go away!)

Carolynn

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
537 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendations

Hi we have booked 3 nights in the StIves Motel on recommendation of TA.It looks good and the reviews are fantastic.I can give you feedback after we have stayed there in February if you can wait that long before booking

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,442 posts
1,569 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendations

It does depend on your budget, my preference are regarding location and quality.

1. Henry Jones Art Hotel.

2. Somerset on the Pier.

3. Grand Chancellor

4. Lenna of Hobart

5. The Old Woolstore apartments..

All are located at the Sullivans Cove Waterfront and just 2mins walk from Salamander Markets where there are numerous cafés, restaurants and pubs. IMHO this is the best place to be located if staying in Hobart.

For an overview on what is available for your budget check out www.wotif.com.au (under Hobart).

www.wotif.com/search/Advanced?region=2417

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendations

Can't say anything about the other hotels, but we stay at Customs House on our annual trips to Tassie. Customs House is in a great location, rooms are good. One of the better restaurants in our opinion. Do a very nice breakfast. Does tend to get a bit noisy. Biggest drawback is the stairs. Long steep staircase - no lift. If mobility is at all an issue, try somewhere else. If not, it's a great hotel at a reasonable price.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendations

I was just wondering how long you'll be in Tasmania and whether you were hoping to see Cradle Mountain or anything else in the north? I remember checking a while back for day tours from Hobart for someone else and it appeared that there aren't any. My information may not be up-to-date so you might want to check because if you have time it might be worthwhile to split your stay between Hobart and Launceston.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,427 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendations

Go for the Henry Jones Art Hotel if it is within budget. Something very special and right on the dock area which is picturesque and central.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendations

Hi, we stayed at the Grand Chancellor in July this year, very nice. Just ask for a Harbour view room & you'll be able to look out over Constitution Dock & Mt Wellington. The weather when we were there was below 10C & there was plenty of snow around the hills.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendations

id look at lenna,and salamanca terraces,operated by lenna.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendations

The Fountainside is very budget and not somewhere I would NOT stay. Sort of place that school groups stay at. EllieMay's recommendations are excellent but it depends on your style as well as your budget. There are also lots of great bed and breakfast accommodation stays in Battery Point and I think this area or Salamanca waterfront it where you would want to be. Australia is considerably more expansive than the USA and what you get for your accommodation dollars. Let us know if you want more of an apartment, hotel or home stay type of accommodation and budget and as a local Hobartian can make better recommendations.

Regards

Suzi

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendations

Hello,

Pleased to hear you are coming to Tassie.

I would personally recommend a stay at one of the friendly B&Bs near Battery point or Sandy Bay.

To experience the true Tasmania you really need to get away from "hotels" You need to experience the "tasmanian hospitality" offered by some of the professionally run B&B's

Look at www.tasmanianbedandbreakfast.com for some suggestions.

One of Hobart's best is Clydesdale Manor, highly credentially, wins many awards, has just been refurbished and is a short taxi ride to some of Hobart's best restaurants.

Happy touring of Tasmania!

10. Re: Hotel recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 17, 2009