We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
8 posts
Save Topic
Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Just wondering the level of fitness required to do the wineglass bay walk to the beach? I assume that once you've gotten down to the beach the only way out is to head back up the same way? Or do you not have to walk back up to the look out to get back to the car park?

I've searched for info on this walk but can't find any details.

How long does the walk take? And how long does the walk just to the lookout take, for someone of average fitness?

Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Ok my info may be a bit dated as it was about 10 years since we did this, you will need average fitness. The walk to the lookout is not so bad but after doing the walk to the beach and back, your legs will be feeling it. It may be graded now but back then it was a rocky path... From memory the lookout track is just a short detour from the track leading to the beach. My recollection is about 3 hours return.

Great walk, beautiful beach! enjoy

Adelaide
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Thanks Surfoz. I was under the impression that the lookout walk in itself was quite tough.

Is that three hours return to the beach?

I guess I'll see how energetic we're both feeling on the day. Very excited about my first trip to Tassie!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

We did the walk only as far as the lookout ... I think in winter 2006. They have signs EVERYWHERE saying the walk to the lookout is "difficult". We got the distinct impression they must get a lot of people who having heard about the beauty of the view press themselves a bit too far. Seriously, after a while we were thinking "OK already we get the message it is difficult". Once we did the walk we agreed with that assessement. There are a lot of stairs on the walk up.

I did read that you can do a tour that takes you in by boat and you walk across a more level track to the beach itself. If you have any doubts about your fitness I'd be inclined to do it that way if it was me. We've just moved and I can't quite think where I've put my travel journal to check how long the lookout walk took us unfortunately, but if I find it and I've recorded it I'll get back to you.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,041 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

I guess you've probably seen this information? Gives you a time and says you return via the same track that heads on from the lookout, but doesn't really discuss the difficulty..

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3371

Adelaide
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Thanks Snodge, I didn't have that page...will bookmark it straight away! The only info I had was the 60 short walks site from the Parks and Wildlife website, I hadn't come across that one. Thank you! Looks like we could do a circuit which loops around. Obviously it's longer but longer I can handle...it's the inclines that are a potential problem. Will have to look into that some more.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

The rest of the family did the lookout walk a few years ago. (After seeking advice at the visitors centre I had decided it would be a bit too much for my knee.) They reported that it was indeed difficult, LOTS of steps.

Since then I read or heard somewhere that the track was to be improved (widened and with more places to stop and rest?) This is what I was able to find about that.

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx…

Bear in mind there are other walks in the area (I always recommend the Cape Tourville one).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Hi kyziejane

Yes from memory it was about three hours return plus we stopped and ate our lunch on the beach. We walked briskly, but the return steps were a killer. We walk every weekend so I think if you have average fitness and you perhaps train yourself for doing a few moderate walks before attempting this, you will be fine.... yes we encountered people on the track who were absolutely bug.....ed.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Hi, when you click on the website the other poster has included, click on the maps section; then on the Coles Bay area section. This shows you all the walking tracks around Wineglass Bay. We have done the walk (as others have described above) many times. One other idea is to walk up the track (via the lookout) and down to the Wine glass bay beach. You can then walk back to the car park via the track named: Isthmus Track, this takes you across the isthmus (which is flattish) and then around the waters edge and back to the car park (where you would have left the car to walk up over the other track). This return walk is beautiful, it is longer then going back the way you originally came, but is not as strenuous. It is not all flat though! But lovely. Regarding the initial walk (via the Lookout) - you will see all ages doing this walk,but it is rocky, rough and not paved at all. It is "up and down" with lots of steep steps - you would need at least a reasonable level of fitness to do it. It is a wonderful thing to do - Tasmanians see it almost as a "rite of passage". If you are staying in Coles Bay (the township from whence the walk leaves) I really suggest you ask at your accommodation for advice. Take water with you too. Nothing beats getting down to the beach!! It is as beautiful as all the photos indicate. You could even take a little picnic in your pack.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Also Lonely Planet for Tasmania mentioned a 2.5 to 3 hours roundtrip with app. 600 rough bushsteps each way. We are visitng in 3 month but that's too strenuous for us so we will decide if we would take the 4 hours boattrip or do a scenic flight over Wineglass bay. LP also seconds MacKnee about the flat Cape Tourville walk.

Tet

UK
Level Contributor
247 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wineglass Bay walk to beach

Its hard very hard but being a very unfit person of a certain age I was very pleased with myself to actually get as far as the lookout. We did start to go down to the beach but it was so very steep and so hot and after about 15min when the mozzies started to bite we turned back. I was disappointed not to have done it but enough was enough, the steps down are very uneven and steep and I was constantly thinking about how hard it would be going back. The view from the lookout is amazing and we have some beautuful pictures.

If you want a good experience in Tasmania then try the Tahune airwalk that was really fun and not too strenuous.