We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best of the Best

San Diego...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Topic
Best of the Best

First thanks for all the wonderful advice. Trip advisor people are the best!

My wife and I are planning a trip to tassie and the outback during June. Including Sydeney and maybe Carnes.

The fairs are great right now so I'm feeling really pushed to book my flight. I was thiniking of going United only 750 US$ to Syd. June 6 return July 8

Quantas is $865 ( will a Quantas flight be that much better?

Is it best to use domestic airlines Jet and Virgin Blue for travel within Au?

It seems that I will need a least 2- 2 1/2- weeeks for Tas. But let me ask this. It is not essential that I see everything. I just want to see, do and experience the most interesting things. ( yes I know that I can spend a year/lifetime in TAS and it will all be fantastic, but I work on that later.

So maybe you can help me focus and decide where I do/should and do don't need to go for my first trip.

Maybe you can list what you think would be options for ultimate TAS two week Iten.--- and if you had 3-4 extra days then...

Rent a Car and go YES Husbanad /Wife age 60 well seasoned travelors.

#1 PRIORITY--- CLOSE INTERACTION WITH ANIMAL land and sea --NATURE.

#2 mind blowing scenery, activities, off the beaten path adventure, local folk, wanderinig, exploring, food best of the best day tour or excursions. One of a kind sortqa stuff.

(although we don't want to camp)

3. Love the arts...... and crafts

I can walk fofrever but, can't do too radical " high cardiac" activity stuff / other than that we are up for everything.

I love to do mega detailed planning but I am also open to a plan to stay spontanious.

Things that I don't need to see or do too much more of anymore are churches, museums, old houses, or geling on beaches.

I hate to ask but

will the weather spoil any of the great activities?

or it be too cold to enjoy?

If you have any knowledge of outback ideas please share.

At the moment I was thinking of going to Darwin for 10 days to Kackado and Katherine Gorge

I will end with 4 days in Sydney befor returning to US

The whole trip will be about 32 days. Unless I add 5 days for Carn. But I am leaning against because I have been to several rainforres and scuba dived on many other reefs and SD is expensive.

If I didin't do Carn. whould there be another place that you might say MUST GO !!!! with 5 extra days?

Thanks I look forward to your thoughts

Ken

San Diego

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,733 posts
1,753 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best of the Best

Wow ! heaps of questions.

1.June / July is our winter so it will be cold in most states accept Nth Queensland/ NT and Nth WA.

2. The places which I would say "Just Go " is Coral Bay - Ningaloo Reef and Uluru. see my "just go " reviews.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g580525-d618…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g256205-d256…

3. I don't think you need 2 weeks in Tasmania. 7 days would be a nice time and it will leave more time for other places to see like Kangaroo Island.

4. Tasmania is a tiny island and easy to drive around, its has a diversity of gorgeous attractions.

5. For domestic airlines within Australia >

www.virginblue.com.au www.jetstar.com.au www.qantas.com.au www.skywest.com.au (WA Airlines).Also have a research on the Aussie Air Pass qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/am/specials/us/aus…

6. There is no U in Qantas - ( Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services.)

7. For outback - click on these threads below for information.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255063-c85960/Alice-…

Your itinerary could go something like this >

Sydney - 4 days.

Fly Sydney to Darwin - stay 4 days.

Fly Darwin to Ayers Rock - stay 2 days.

Drive or fly Ayers Rock to Alice Springs - stay 3 days/

Fly Alice to Adelaide - stay 2 days.

Drive to Kangaroo Island - stay 3 days.

Drive the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne - 5 days.

Fly Melbourne to Hobart - stay/ drive 7 days.

Fly Hobart to Sydney - stay 2 days.

Fly home.

heaps of options available...you just need to choose what you want to see. If I was visiting Australia in June / July I would see.

1.Nth WA - Coral Bay / Broome / Kimberleys.

2. Uluru / Alice Springs / Darwin.

3. Whitsunday Islands / Cairns / Port Douglas.

4. Sydney

5. Tasmania - but too cold for me in July !

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island
South Australia, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best of the Best

Well Ken, let's see. Ellemay has given you some great options. But let's summon up what you dont want to do or have done before: Scuba diving, Rainforest, beaches,churches, old houses, museums..

That's a bit of a pity because Australia has the best beaches in the world (yes, I know you are from SD.) Now, Ellemay told you about Coral Bay/Exmouth. Snow white beaches and turquoise sees and snorkelling just steps from the beach. Outback very close and very different from SoCal shores. One of the best places to spend some time. Also the coastal drive from Perth and places like Cervantes and the Pinnacles, Greenough, Geraldton, Kalbarri and Shark Bay are very worth a visit. You easily can spend 10 days doing this but it's a lot of driving. You also can take a Skywest flight from Perth to Exmouth, hire a car, and fly back.

Also great that time of year: Broome, Cable Beach and the Kimberleys. You also can spend a long time around Darwin and Katherine and see places like Kakadu, Litchfield, Katherine Gorge. Mataranka and many more. We stayed in this area 8 days some years ago and could have stayed longer. Another option is Alice Springs and Uluru. Not only Uluru is worth a visit but also Alice and around. 1 week total if you'll have the time. Kangaroo Island and Tasmania certainly are worth visiting (we'll come ourselves to both but that will be in (Aus) autumn) but will be cold. I would follow EM advice. Stay Sydney/Blue Mountains (5 days) flight to Darwin and stay in that area (8 days), flight (or drive the Outback) Darwin to Alice Spings and a stay (7 days), flight to Melbourne, visit Melbourne and Great Ocean Road (5 days), visit Tasmania (flight from Melboure, and back to Sydney)(7 days). Here is another option:

Sydney (5)

Darwin (5)

Alice/Uluru (5)

Alice/Uluru-Perth-Coral Bay (10)

Melbourne/GOR (5)

Sydney.

So many choices.

Have fun planning your trip.

Tet

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island
South Australia, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Singapore
Level Contributor
257 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best of the Best

If you're pressed for time in Tas, Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair is a must go. Lots of wildlife.

I have been to mainland Aus in June for the past 8 yrs, just for the cold, more to chill than anything else. As you get further inland, it gets even colder. Sydney's weather so far is more consistent, cool but comfortable. Daylight is also short in June/Jul. Many tourist attractions are also not open/open shorter hours. For mainland, not too bad, but for Tas, the walks could be quite limited.

However, Tas has led me back the past 2 yrs in summer, as, even then, it can be really cold then, so it would be hard to imagine what it would be like in winter. We love the walks and nature, like you mentioned, and think you would really be better off going in summer to maximise the time spent there.

Mentioned in this post
Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Cradle Mountain-Lake St...
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best of the Best

Hi Ken

Sounds like a great trip. You will really see the diversity of Australia. From a Tasmanian point of view it will be cold - but the weather is changeable and it can also offer a few nice days. We don’t experience that much rain down here in winter. Best dress option in winter is to layer as you can get 4 seasons in one day.

You definitely should hire a car while in Tasmania and organise this before you arrive

A suggested trip for Tasmania

1. Fly into Launceston (or you could fly into Hobart and just change the order – start at 5)

2. If you like golfing – go to Barnbougle Dunes at Bridgeport - a world class links course and it has really lovely accommodation. Bridgeport is a lovely little seaside town and there are also some lovely wineries in this area (1-2 days)

3. Drive to Cradle Mountain - absolutely beautiful in June with snow (1-2 days)

4. Drive to Stanley - a really remote wildness area - the drive between Stanley and Hobart is absolutely spectacular (1-2 days)

5. Drive to Hobart and from here do some day tours – to Port Arthur, Peppermint Bay, Richmond and the wineries, the Huon – Tahune Airwalk and Hastings Caves. You could easily spend a week here

6. Drive to Coles Bay – Freycinet – spectacular and easy walk (1-2 days)

7. Drive back to Launceston – visit the Tamar Valley and fly out

Please let me know if you need any information – I am sure others will have suggestions. There are also lots of wildlife parks around the state.

Hope this helps

Regards

Suzi

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Peppermint Bay
Peppermint Bay
401 Reviews
Woodbridge, Australia
Coles Bay
Coles Bay
Freycinet, Australia
The Tamar Valley
The Tamar Valley
607 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best of the Best

Point 4 - I meant Strahan not Stanley

Cheers

Suzi

Mentioned in this post
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
6. Re: Best of the Best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 12, 2009