We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tassie - birthday trip in July

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tassie - birthday trip in July

Im taking my boyfriend on a suprise holiday to tassie (from far north QLD) for a week over his 30th birthday in late july (yes, i realise it will be FREEZING). thus far, i've planned a few nights at voyagers cradle mntn lodge.

we are open to sugegstions for the remaining 4 - 5 days and will have a hire car at our disposal.

i would like to see the cheese factories and wineries but wonder whether they will be open at that time of year??

also - i know my partner would love to get a day or two of skiing in once he find out where we are going - i've seen details for ben lomond and mt mawson (and maybe even cradle mntn). is there usually reliable snow there at that time - and which would you recommend? is ski equipment hire possible?

comments are much appreciated...

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tassie - birthday trip in July

I think your best bet for skiing is ben lomond (I don't ski btw)

But the season down here is a bit hit & miss

Hopefully someone who knows more might post :)

SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tassie - birthday trip in July

We have just had a month in Burnie (my husband was working there) and we had 3 days at Cradle Mt - it was great. We were there the last weekend in March, and we got warm sun, cold, rain, sleet and SNOW - all in the same day !! See if you can get one of the rooms with its own fire and spa bath - they are excellent. Breakfast is fantastic, but we were disappointed with dinner, so we tried the restaurant at the Chalet and it was good. In Burnie there is the Lactos cheese factory and Hellyers distillery next door,both open all year round, maybe you could detour to cradle mt through Burnie as it is only a 2 hr drive, from Burnie to Cradle mt. Plan for lunch at the Distillery as it is really good.

We had a 3 day break in Hobart over easter and stayed at the Henry Jones Art Hotel, it is overpriced for what it is and dinner in the restaurant was also not as good as we expected.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tassie - birthday trip in July

Launceston is a bit warmer than Hobart. Stanley west of Launceston is meant to have wonderful seafood and scenery, and tourists will definitely not get in your way.

4. Re: Tassie - birthday trip in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 26, 2009