We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
5 posts
Save Topic
2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Hi,

I would be reaching hobart on friday evening and leaving monday morning back to Sydney.

I plan to go to Freycinet National Park on Sunday day tour.

Can anybody please suggest which places I can cover on Saturday and on Friday evening.

Is the Salmanac market same as paddy's market here in Sydney ? I can skip in that case.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Just for some suggestions for you to investigate.

Huon Valley is lovely and worth visiting.

Peppermint Bay is also gorgeous and there is a fab restaurant overlooking the water. You can catch a ferry/boat cruise to Peppermint Bay from the waterfront.

www.peppermintbay.com.au

The Salmanac markets are nothing like Paddy's Markets. They are a little like Paddington Markets.

Its worth visiting.

I would also do a river cruise down the Derwent to say New Norfolk. (lovely scenery).

Mount Field National Park is absolutely fantastic too and not far from Hobart.

You could hire a car to move around. Its incredibly easy driving around Hobart.

Don't forget you also have Port Arthur at your fingertips too.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

It would help to know what you are interested in. The things that come to mind are nature, history, and food and wine. Would you emphasise one over the others or are you looking to just get a nice amount of variety even if it means compromise given the limited time you have? Are you going on a day tour to Freycinet because scenery is the main priority or was it just something you heard about and thought sounded good but you don't particularly want to spend your entire time seeing "scenery"? Are you taking a tour because you don't want to drive or you don't want to spend money on a hire car? Or would you consider hiring a car if it would be the best way to get to see what you want to see? It would be helpful to know things like that.

IMO Port Arthur is a good day trip (though it's worth longer if anyone has the time). There's history and scenery. You can visit an animal park on the way and see the Tassie Devils. I think the road out of Hobart takes you past Barilla Bay Oysters so there's your food and wine. There are day tours to Port Arthur but apart from the historic site itself I don't know what they include. I recall someone mentioning that you can also get there by boat.

Another alternative would be to stay in Hobart and visit the museums and historic buildings, drive up Mount Wellington for the amazing view, walk through the lovely Botanic Gardens, and check out dining experiences in the city.

So there are a couple of suggestions for a general type day.

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

I would agree that the Salamanca market is much better than Paddy's; the area has some nice shops, cafes and buildings as well.

For Saturday you might consider the popular Peppermint Bay cruise, it departs at midday very close to Salamanca.

peppermintbay.com.au/cruises/index.html

...or a Mount Wellington tour

http://www.mtwellingtonwalks.com.au/

...or if you skipped the market you could do a Tasman Peninsula/Port Arthur tour and cruise

www.tasmancruises.com.au/tours_fullday.php

For Friday evening, roughly what time will you be arriving in Hobart?

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

I am interested in nature.I decided on Freycinet because I like scenery and the pictures look good. I don't want to drive...just day tours or bus travel would be good.

I would be staying in Harringtons 102 hotel.

Sydney
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Friday I would be reaching at 7pm.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Freycinet is beautiful. You will love it.

I found this tour which leaves from the Salamanca Markets at midday. I suppose the only problem is if you buy a lot you have to carry it with you for the rest of the day.

www.bottombitsbus.com.au/transfer/index.php

(Btw I found it when I clicked on Hobart-Launceston transfers. Am I misunderstanding something or is the website faulty?)

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

For Friday evening I would suggest rugging up warmly and wandering around the Sullivan's Cove area - Salamanca & Salamanca Square, Elizabeth Street Pier, Mures and across to the Henry Jones area - plenty of restaurants, choose a nice looking one for dinner

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Given that you don't want to drive - how about

Friday - Dinner (as aadvark says there are lots of good restaurants)

Sat - Markets & a Peppermint Bay Cruise (using the 2 for one - as on the forum) - evening in town (you can do this yourself) - but book ahead!

Sun - Probably Port Arthur or Coles Bay - both long days but doable - tour provider

Its a shame but I don't think you have enough time to do Bruny island - still getting on the water you will be able to see some lovely scenery :)

TAS
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

Regarding the suggestion "I would also do a river cruise down the Derwent to say New Norfolk. (lovely scenery)", any cruise upstream of the Bridgewater Bridge would have to be in a low clearance runabout as the lifting gear on the bridge's lift span has been broken for over 2 years and doesn't seem likely to be repaired anytime soon.

It is a real pity that the Tasmanian Government is allowing the historic old bridge to deteriorate due to lack of maintenance.

10. Re: 2 days in hobart (suggest itenary please)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 25, 2009