We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora Australis in Hobart

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora Australis in Hobart

My family of four ( including two ten year old twin girls ) will be in Hobart in Late February, Early March 2009. This is part of a one year away as we go around the world. As such we will be home schooling.

Can we see the Aurora Australis in either St. Helens or Hobart in early March? If we can, any hints on HOW best to see it, i.e, top of Mt. Wellington or another peak.

If we see it, I promised the girls we would not have to do as much math.

Thanks

gmanrtw ( marty )

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora Australis in Hobart

Hi Marty

According to following website, solar sunspot activity will be on the increase towards the end of this year, so the chance of seeing an aurora while you're here is good.

http://home.mira.net/~reynella/skywatch/ssky.htm

Tips for viewing an aurora - clear night sky with no moon; as dark as possible, away from city and other lights; look south, allow eyes several minutes to adjust to the dark. Look for rays of light from the horizon and flashing streams above.

If an aurora is active it should be possible to see it from Hobart or St Helens. A good aurora can be seen from Hobart suburbs, though maybe drive to a south-facing beach away from lights? Mt Wellington can be a cold, misty and blowy place for observing the night sky, and an aurora may fade by the time you get to the top.

Good luck!

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora Australis in Hobart

Lol

for some reason I was thinking of the boat version of the Aurora Australis & was getting very confused!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora Australis in Hobart

Me too Natt lol!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora Australis in Hobart

thanks ardvark88

We will be in Hobart for four ( or maybe six days ) and should try it.

Once in my lifetime!!!!!

gmanrtw

5. Re: Aurora Australis in Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, September 19, 2009