We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devonport to Hobart

Melbourne
1 post
Save Topic
Devonport to Hobart

What's the best (and cheapest) way to get from Devonport o Hobart without a car?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devonport to Hobart

It would be by bus...

This website gives the links to the bus companies available. The bus would require a change at Launceston with one of the companies and the timetables show the stops

www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm…

Tassielink is AUD$51.40 for an adult and for Redline you can email them direct from their website with cost enquiries. These bus services leave from the ferry terminal and the city centre of Devonport so you can select the most convenient.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devonport to Hobart

Just a point of interest re ferry and bus. When I enquired re bus from Hobart direct to ferry I was told it got into ferry terminal 7.10pm. On asking ferry people about this, they said check in closes strictly 7.15pm and the fery doesnt wait for the bus! There was a bus a little earlier that got in 6.40pm, but I felt it was too close to time espically if there was a delay (yes, I know its tassie, but there could be an accident or something, not necessarily a traffic jam!) so I want confident at all about the bus direct to ferry. Consequently we have now changed to take our hire car direct back to ferry terminal (instead of leaving in Hoart as originally planned). Anyone else know anything about this (for future use).

Thanks

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devonport to Hobart

The check in starts 2.5 hours before so it would be from 530pm. Was there a bus that arrived before 640pm?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devonport to Hobart

Spirit of Tasmania said their check in closed at 7.15pm and strictly could not go through after that (for 8pm sailing). The bus got into the ferry terminal at 7.10pm. The boat suggested I try Tassielink and they told me their bus gets into ferry terminal at 6.40pm. Both times were too tight for my liking.

So have never tried this way, but assumed Spirit of Tasmania info was correct. My kids bought me a GPS for Christmas so I am set to drive anywhere now!

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devonport to Hobart

You certainly are well equipped with the gps! What a good present...the drive will be good & you'll be able to control the arrival time (more or less) it should take between 3 to 3.5 hours...

6. Re: Devonport to Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 15, 2009