We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to launceston?things to do there?

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to launceston?things to do there?

Hi all,

Would be spending 4 nights in tasmania (excluding the 5 nights on an Under Down Under tour, which includes sightseeing at nature places e.g. Cradle Mountain etc.)

We were thinking of spending a day at Launceston but we aren't sure about how to get there from Hobart (we're not driving) and the fastest it takes is 2 hours. Redline coaches reach Launceston at 1pm and last bus back to Hobart leaves at 6.45pm.

Is it worth spending time on travelling to visit Launceston? Also, any recommendations for sightseeing places in Launceston with our short time frame?

Thank you!

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to launceston?things to do there?

Personally, i wouldn't bother going to Launceston, especially if you don't have a car. The Redline bus trip is not a pleasant one through the midlands. Are you sure it is only a 2 hour trip on the bus? i know it takes me that long in the car doing 110km most of the way, and i thought the coach stopped into every little town along the way! Still i wouldn't do it.

But if you do go, you should visit the Cataract Gorge - very pretty, and a lovely little restaraunt on the other side (once you take the chairlift across the gorge). Other than that, i don't know of anything really outstanding to do or see in Launceston.

I would prefer to spend the time around Hobart, much more touristy stuff there.

Good luck with your travels!

Cheers

Lyn

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to launceston?things to do there?

Whilst we only had a short time there, I would agree with the previous poster. Concentrate your time in Hobart and nature activities you've identified like Cradle mountain.

Without a car I would say there is very little you could see (Launceston locals may disagree).

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to launceston?things to do there?

Cataract Gorge is very nice but I wouldn't make a special trip. Also it's not in the CBD so you'd have to factor in more travelling to get to it. I agree, there's more to do in Hobart. (Won't you be passing through Launceston on the way to Cradle Mountain?)

singapore
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to launceston?things to do there?

thank you all for your help! have decided not to make a special trip there after all! have decided to visit the cadbury factory in Hobart instead after our land package! :)

5. Re: how to get to launceston?things to do there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 30, 2009