We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

LDN
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

Hi,

We've booked a trip to Tassy this November. We're spending a week moving between Hobart and Launceston, moving by hire car. Thanks to this forum we got ideas on the shape of our trip. We probably won`t be back to Tassy, so we're really keen to make sure we get the most out of our short time here. We'd like to get your thoughts on things we shouldn`t miss on our trip where we are staying, and spots en route between destinations we could drop in to.

About us: young family (2 adults, 2 kids (7 and 1yrs)), 7 days for a self-drive. We like the natural environment (beautiful places, parks, mountains, beaches), some tourist attractions for the kids (aquariums etc), and cute towns and villages, nice places to eat (cafes, pubs suitable for kids, anything with a view).

Our itinerary is (in order):

- 2 nights in Hobart (plan to do Mt Wellington, fish and chips, a few walks, a bit of central Hobart maybe)

- 4 nights in Coles Bay (Freycinet, quad biking, walks on beaches, lazy days. Any particular spots we shouldn`t miss?)

- 1 night in Binalong Bay (beach walk, not sure what else is up here (the beach sold it to us!))

- 2 nights in Launceston (the gorge, potter around Launceston centre...)

Thanks!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

Hi,

First thing, have a look at Luigi's Top 10 things to see in Tasmania, I agree with most -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-…

I'd like to suggest you forget 1 night in Coles Bay since you're spending 4 nights in Bicheno, and also take 1 night off Bicheno, and stay 3 nights in Hobart, Coles & Launceston.

Another thing, especially with young children I would look at staying in Bicheno not Coles Bay, it's a nice little town but there's very little there. Bicheno is more central, larger therefore having more services, including restaurants.

Hobart take the kids to Bonorong, Russell Falls at Mt Field National Park, it's a lovely walk even for your youngest, well maybe not for your very youngest. Check out the link below and then the top right hand side of your screen for things to see and do in and around Hobart -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g25…

Fish & Chips, I'd stay away from the Chippie down at the dock in their floating vessels, very average food in my opinion. For a bit of fun, take the family to the Drunken Admiral, it's quirky but we've always found the seafood pretty good.

The East Coast from Orford to St Helens is more for the beach lovers, there are few other things to see, but that's what most go for.

Launceston is good for a base, a trip up to Platypus House and Seahorse World at Beauty Point is always a favourite. At Low head you can go on a great penguin tour, most tours are in small groups and you get so close to the penguins.

Have a look at the link below, and then at the top of right hand side of your screen with regards to what to see and do in and around Launceston -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g25…

With your trip, as said it's more beach orientated, for mountainous country side, you would need to go further west. If you stay at Launceston for 3 nights you could do a day tour to Cradle Mountain, and have plenty of spots, although it takes approximately 2.5 hours to get there, but there's plenty to see and do along the way.

This is the region I live in, and there's plenty for the kids to see & do.

A route like this is what I would recommend -

https://goo.gl/maps/CGtiywx6UHL2

Have a look at the map for places to stop.

Small lovely villages, most in my opinion are along the Midlands Highway fro Hobart to Launceston, but on your way to the East Coast you could drop in to Richmond, lovely historic town. You will also pass though many others along the way.

Safe travels - Robert

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
1,830 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

I loved Coles Bay but we did get blissful summer days with calm swimming in the protected bay. There's only a handful of eateries and a pub but it suited us. A really scenic spot right by the national park.

I also loved Cradle Mt and its a great spot for wildlife which might appeal to your 7yr old. I'd really consider staying there and not Launceston. Hobart might be enough to give you the urban side of things.

The other plug is for the Tasman Peninsula - history, scenery, walks, wildlife and sea cliff fast boat cruises.

LDN
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

Thanks Rob and Waddler,

Great ideas here. I should have been clearer that I have already booked this itinerary, and we are keen to make sure we make the best of this.

Russell Falls at Mt Field National Park, the Drunken Admiral, and Richmond are just what we needed, thanks. And thanks too for info on Coles Bay - we were keen to go here for a few days to take in the beaches, walks and some adventure type activities (quad biking). Good to know that the main thing to 'do' in Binalong is the beach, and not much else. That's fine by us.

Would be great to know if there were any spots worth stopping on the routes between Richmond - Coles Bay; Coles Bay - Binalong (possibly BIcheno? but not sure if its worth a stop like that); and Binalong - Launceston (I've heard there are some lovely rainforest walks, and some nice towns on the way).

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

Hi,

Between Richmond and Coles Bay via the coastal road, there's is predominately farming, some views of the coast, there's Spiky Bridge (convict built), Kates Berry Farm, it's really just a café but the food is good, there's Swansea, nice town with lovely views of the Hazards, then on to Coles Bay/Bicheno.

Spiky Bridge - https:/…6523234867_6a60922503_b.jpg

You could look at going this way (link) after Richmond, it will take you through the lovely villages of Oatlands & Ross, both well worth spending time in, probably two of Australia's most historic convict built towns, and it will take you to Kates Berry Farm and through Swansea.

https://goo.gl/maps/7FoqKRNkdgA2

Rob

5. Re: Week road trip up East Coast - activity check

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 25, 2017