We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in Tasmania

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
30 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in Tasmania

We are considering a Tasmania trip in April or May and would like to do a lot of hiking. Mostly day trips but we have good gear and would also consider some 1-night backpacks. Since we live in the Rocky Mountains of the U.S. we are used to hiking at high altitudes and are in good physical condition.

Does anyone know if it will be warm enough in April and/or May in Tasmania for hiking? Camping? Could it snow or get below freezing at night? Is there a better time of year to go? Any suggestions for trails to hike or take a short backpack trip? Do we need any permits?

One other thing - am obsessed with penguins. Any good places to see them? Also any other suggestions for viewing beautiful natural "must see" places would be appreciated, even if we have to drive there. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
362 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in Tasmania

G’day RMDiva,

For April – May, mean minimum temps are 3.1 & 1.6 deg C respectively. The lowest temps on record for those months are -3.0 & -8.3 deg C. February is usually the warmest month. I have stayed in Cradle “Valley” (CV) during November and the weather was fine (but we stayed in a cabin, not camping ;-)

You can view monthly / annual stat’s for CV at: bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_096005.shtml

We did day-hikes, I don’t recall having to get permits but that ‘might’ be required for overnight hikers. There was a sign-in post, where you leave your I.D. details and your intended hike route, duration etc…

The altitude at CV is ~ 900 metres. Cradle Mountain peak is 1545m. It is a pristine area with excellent views but I’m not sure how they would compare to the Rockies!

www.cradlehighlander.com.au/bushwalking.html

I’ve not seen the penguins in Tassie but there is a website here that has relevant info:

www.bichenopenguintours.com.au/bpt_main.html

Or if you are visiting Victoria, you can see them at Phillip Island:

http://www.penguins.org.au

Happy Travels, Wally B :-)

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking in Tasmania

Weather and temperature averages are useful but by definition they are taken from weather patterns over the last 100 years or so, unfortunately our weather is unpredictable at best, April can still get some good weather but by May anything could happen !! It could snow in either of these months on higher ground but it could also be 30 degrees C during the day. As the previous post mentions quite correctly February is statistically the warmest month and if you were to ask most Tasmanians they would say February is the most settled month, March is good also as it is the last month of daylight savings which allows you to fit more into your days. I would reccomend the Freycinet National Park on the East Coast for some good day and overnight walks especially Wineglass Bay and the Cradle Mountain area also offers some good options, also is the start point of the 5-7 day overland track. Both are great for wildlife etc. Just South of Hobart, Mt Wellington has some good day walks and a great view of the city form the summit, further south is the Tahune area with its rainforest walk which is great as well. Bicheno has a penguin rookery close by the town which could easily be combined with time in the Freycinet area.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking in Tasmania

Hi there, I would also suggest the Tasman Peninsula which has many day walks such as Cape Raoul, Cape Huay (4-6 hours) as well as the Cape Pillar which I think is 2 days. These would allow you to stay in one place and take a different walk each day.These take in spectacular coastal scenery with varying degrees of difficulty. There is an excellend book of all the walks on the Peninsula with maps too. If you need any further info/accommodation info, coctact me.

Jill

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking in Tasmania

One of the reasons I love hiking is because you don;t get the real deal until you are away from the road and people etc.

This rule does not nessarily apply in Tasmania. Even a short few hundred metres at a rest stop can deliver you to hikers paradise.

You will be spolt for choice.

I did not enoy the Dove Lake at Cradle Mt loop so much nor the walks around Lake St Clair, perhaps because I am a rainforest freak or because I had so much beauty by then I was desensitised. Still I would prefer to be there than Hobart lol

The absolute higlight for us was Styx Valley, home of the world's largest hardwood trees. No hiking really but a lot of slow driving and an emotional roller coaster because the area is subject to clear felling. A political hotspot. A must do for tree lovers, to see also the loggers side of the story and see how hard it all is to reconcile so that majestic trees and workers rights are both recognised and respected,

Canberra Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking in Tasmania

See the Bicheno Hideaway post for favourable comments re penguins. The Freycinet Peninsula near Bicheno is wonderful.

We loved the Dove Lake walk. Best done anti-clockwise to get the steep bits out of the way early. There are various other shorter and longer walks. Lots of wombats when we were there in spring.

You can do a walk into the southwest wilderness to Melaleuca and then fly out from the dirt airstrip but I think it takes a week. Or you can do what we did and fly in, go for a boat ride and a short hike and fly back to Hobart. There are no roads, the only other way to get there is to aquire a boat and sail down. Have a look at South West Wilderness on Wikipedia and go to www.paravion.com.au for info about the flight.

If you are interested in caves there are two areas open to the public. Hastings Caves are almost as far south as the road goes from Hobart and King Solomon and Marakoopa Caves are near Launceston.

6. Re: Hiking in Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 21, 2009