We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some last minute tips for Tasmania

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Need some last minute tips for Tasmania

I'm leaving for Tasmania for 2 weeks coming Thursday. The weather is btw 1 to 9 degrees celcius. Sounds cold and I heard it can be windy in some places (going to cover Launceston, Cradle Valley, Swansea, Hobart, Port Arthur etc). Questions :

1. Any suggestions on clothings? Will it be rainy? I'm trying to pack light as there are 7 of us in a van and there'll be lots of suitcases.

2. Any suggestions of restaurants for local food - willing to try mixture of casual or formal dining? We hope to cook a few meals and suggestions of stores or supermarkets to find fresh local food will be great too.

3. any suggestions of "must not miss it deals"? I hate it when I pay full price and later find out I can enjoy something at a promotional or tourist price.

Thks!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some last minute tips for Tasmania

well, weather can be a mixed bag from what ive experienced.

so, a bit of this and that id say. you could always purchase some clothing there if you forget something.

and if you dont want to bring it back, donate it to charity, i do.

as for eateries, in both Hobart and Launceston ive found alot of different choices, from cheap upwards.

so just look around

there are always pubs you could get counter meals in.

fish n chip shops, chinese takeaways.the chain hungry jacks.etc....

just look around, or best still ask your accommodations reception what they recommend

although, be careful re availability in some restauarants, as weve come unstuck thinking wed get a table in low season, and had to go back an hour later or go somewhere else.

I recommend in Hobart, Lenna of Hobart, www.lenna.com.au, great restaurant, semi formal to formal, middle to high range prices.right next to Salamanca Place.

Launceston, we dinned at Dockside, next to Seaport Peppers accommodation, along the waterfront area.mid to high range also.

thats my best 2 choices.

Also in Hobart we found a great vietnamese style eat in and take away cafe.licensed also.just along the front of Salamanca Place.

hope have helped a bit atleast

Lil x

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some last minute tips for Tasmania

Agree with you as usual Lil, Saturday was about 24 degrees, Yesterday dropped to 12 with sleet and hail and storm wind warnings, today is about 17 degrees and lovely, Wednesday is supposedly 24 degrees so looking forward to that, there is a local urban myth that says our weather improves after Hobart Show day which this year falls on October 26th so hopefully Mosto you will see Tassie at it best as you seem to be arriving around this time, also Tassie is already in daylight savings which gives you longer days, at the moment we still have adequate daylight to almost 8pm

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
125 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some last minute tips for Tasmania

Tks for the advice. Glad to know the temperature there.

4. Re: Need some last minute tips for Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, August 25, 2009