We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Tas

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Day trip to Tas

We will be visiting my parents in Melbourne for four days, and we're wondering if we should fly to Tas for a day. Is it worth it? If so, what would you recommend we see?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,779 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Tas

Not really Tassie needs a week at least. If you fly into Hobart or Launceston and fly out the same day all you will see is a very brief glimpse of what that state has to offer.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Tas

Well, it might be worth flying down for a day if there was a particular thing in Hobart say that you particularly wanted to see and you would have no other way to see it. If you're having to ask what you should see then I would say no, you're better off doing something more local.

IMHO it would become more feasible with two days to see MONA and the historic areas, Mt Wellington etc, or if you decided that the visit with your parents would be a joint mini break spending the whole time in and around Hobart. I've done that over 4 days and that was worthwhile.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,917 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Tas

You won't see much in a day. Tasmania is much bigger than you imagine. But there's plenty to see and do just in Hobart for a day.

Do you mean fly down there and back on the same day, or stay overnight for one or two nights? It's an expensive flight for just a day trip.

Anyway, have a look at this page for ideas to more than fill one day in Hobart: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g255097-i1073-H…

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,752 posts
277 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Tas

If you have an early arrival and a late departure, agree Hobart is worth a look around.

Safe travels - Robert

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Tas

#2 summed up my feelings very well, if you're having to ask what to see then I wonder if it's worth it, and as others have said you can't even begin to see the whole island in a day. IMO you really need some sort of a reason. What's the overall context, I assume you are not coming to Australia just for four days, are you doing any day trips around Melbourne, why do you feel you have a day to spare, what are your interests and what sort of an experience would you like for that day?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
43 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Tas

Don't do Tasmania in a day. If you do, you'll get there and realize how much there is to do.... def a week's worth!

I recommend spending that extra day in Melbourne. There is more to do there, and you can always come back for Tassie (when you have more time).

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Tas

My friend planned a trip to Sydney for just a day to have a special lunch with friends. Her flight was delayed four hours due to bad weather (it happens) and she arrived in time to grab a cab to the city, say hello and then head back to the airport.

Visiting anywhere for just a day can be a risky exercise.

What if it's pouring down with rain all day on the day you pick?

Save it for another trip when you can do the island justice.

Edited: 2:33 am, January 27, 2015
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Day trip to Tas

Tassie in a day is not worth the flight in my opinion. Especially when melbourne has so much to offer.

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Day trip to Tas

Thank you, everyone! We'll actually be in the Philippines for a week before coming to Melbourne to see my parents, but we do only have the four days in Melbourne, unfortunately. My parents love Tas, and I'd love to see any of it, but I'm wondering if it's worth the time in the airport and on flights when we could be doing other things in Melbourne.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Day trip to Tas

I think that raises a few more questions.

◽ What did your parents particularly enjoy in Tasmania and is any of it doable in a day?

Rob mentioned a day in Hobart. Also I remember a poster once asked about a day trip from Melbourne via Launceston to Cradle Mountain which I thought was rather ambitious but they managed it. I think a day trip is doable if you are keen and know what you want. It is at least worth discussing.

◽ When are you coming?

As emel49 said, visiting somewhere for just a day and hoping the weather is conducive for your plans can be risky. Fog can delay flights making a day trip not worthwhile. If the travel goes to plan you can still miss out because bad weather can obscure some of the best views. As an extreme example last winter the road to Cradle Mountain was closed for a few days by snow so if you went for a day you could even find yourselves stuck there with nothing. Also being so far south the length of daylight hours is a big factor.

◽ What are you thinking of doing in and around Melbourne?