We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Just read the reviews on the wall and have decided that taking my 3 and 4 yo boys is not a good idea. However my husband would love it by the sounds of it and I dont want him to miss out. Is there something near by that I could take the kids to while my husband spends some time there? How long will he need to have a good visit there?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Firstly, you should all go to the Wall. It's amazing.

You could also go to Lake St Clair which is only about a km or so away. maybe go for a ride on the ferry: lakestclairlodge.com.au/about-lake-st-clair/…

Or there are walks: www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3470

Luigi

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Yes I am also very keen to see this attraction. However have read that there are many signs stating that children need to be not active etc. Its not that my children are unruly but I dont want to be caught in a situation where their behavior doesn't match the expectations. Would it be interesting to young children?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

"Interesting"? To a three and four year old? My warning bells are ringing. Perhaps it's best you not take them there. :(

Take them on the boat. They surely have lifejackets aboard. :)

Edited: 10:50 pm, October 28, 2014
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Thanks for the advice about the ferry. It sounds like a perfect activity for my children. But I must say your warning bells are off as are your comments sometimes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,005 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

I visited The Wall recently and the signs about both children and photographs (forbidden) were worded a bit oddly. I suspect the artist is a little eccentric and perhaps a bit intolerant, but it is his (huge) space and his life's work from which he must make his living. The work itself is a stunning bas-relief and full of humour, incredible detail and loving observation.

I think there was some lawn area and space for maybe a picnic outside. One of you could visit while the other feeds the kids and then swap over.

It is in the scrub a bit outside the town and for some reason it surprised me that it was inside an enormous, purpose built "shed"

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Thanks lyn. Sounds like we can both have a look at this amazing art. I had heard about the signs and thought it best to leave the kids out of this one. The lawn area will be perfect. Maybe then we can all go on the ferry afterwards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,005 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

I admit this is memory only and I didn't look carefully, but I am about 90% sure there is lawn and there is 100% certainly space to move around safely as it is right off the road.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
8. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

There's a gravel road running off the highway through the bushland - the "Wilderness" - for about 100metres to a gravel parking lot immediately adjacent to the big shed. No lawn, I'm afraid.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

Bummer. Oh well. I think I will do the ferry with the kids. Had look at the link luigi left and it looks perfect. Hubby can ddrive us to ferry. Drive back to look at the wall. Then pick us up hour and bit later at end of ferry ride. I will see the wall when kids are older and it is more suitable for their age. It will be more complete then. Thanks all for ur help

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,954 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: other kid friendly attractions near the wall derwent bridge

There's a photo of the gravel parking lot on this page: …wordpress.com/2010/… You can just see a skerrick of grass near the verandah.