We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A short visit

malaysia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
A short visit

Travelling with my husnad and 2 boys for a short visit 2 days to Tasmania in NOV. Wonder if there is any intensive sight seeing to do there?

shortlisst Swansea area for our accommodation anyone has any idea of this place?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Swansea
Tasmania, Australia
Melbourne
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A short visit

hi, my name is daniel. i live in melbourne. in response to your request. Tasmania would have to be a very relaxed place. not the most ideal place to visit if your wanting a true reflection of OZ. in tasmania you have places like were the port arthur masacare took place. VERY COUNTRYSIDEA and not a terrible lot happens at night there. I would encourage you to visit melbourne of sydney if you want to see true AUSTRALIA. Good luck with your trip

malaysia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A short visit

Hi Daniel

Greetings. Yes, MEL is the first stop in Aus- Philip Island - Tasmania last stop will be PERTH.

Sorry another advise needed,

1) As I know Buses in PER are free for rides and will that the same for MEL?

2) Is Bourke Street, MEL in city centre? Any idea of Medina grand Mel apartment in Queen street ?

3) we planned to hire a car during our stay in MEL, will it be easy to move around in town or shouldn't we just stick to using public transport?

More questions will probbaly pops up for advised!

Thank you for the prompt reply very much appreciated!

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A short visit

dont see a problem with tasmania at all. Its just beautiful.Good enough for the late Steve Irwins wife and children to hike in!!!

Swansea has accomm, have a look at www.innkeeper.com.au

Maybe Hobart ot Launceston instead?Plenty to do, if you ask me.

Melbourne has free tourist buses I believe? not sure on the details.

Someone else may know more on that one.

As for hiring a car, do so if you want to,at the airport if you want, but you can rely on public transport if you want. If you hire a car,you can get out of the city and explore.

Lil xx

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Swansea
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A short visit

Hi,

Firstly a few questions. What are your boys ages? what do you like to do as a family? What sort of accommodation are you after? and are you flying in (and out of) Hobart?

Personally for such a short visit, i'd base myself in Hobart.

There is much more to do in the Hobart district than Swansea, although Swansea is a wonderful sleepy town.

As a suggestion you could visit the Cadbury Chocolate Factory (must book!), visit the Hastings Caves and Thermal Pool or do the Tahune Airwalk. You've also got Port Arthur which would easily take a whole day to tour. Much more to do, depending on what your interests are.

Anyhow, you should have a lovely time in Hobart and the weather should be wonderful then too!

Cheers

Lyn

p.s

There is a free city tram which runs all the time in Melbourne - but that's all i know about the 'free stuff' in Melbourne! : )

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Swansea
Tasmania, Australia
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A short visit

Tasmania is a wonderful place to visit. The scenery is spectacular and the food and wine are locally produced and fantastic.

I would agree that for a short visit Hobart might be the best option. You can visit wineries within 20 mins of the city centre, take a cruise down to Peppermint Bay, do a day trip to Port Arthur (which by the way is known for a lot more than just the massacre that happened there!). There is also jetboating in Huonville. You can do a bike ride down Mt Wellington. There are so many options - the list goes on.

Yes, Tasmania is a quieter destination, but that does add to its charm.

As for Medina Grand in Mel - it is a very nice hotel. I have seen the rooms and they are of a nice standard. It is in a very centrally located position in the city - so a good base for your travels.

Mentioned in this post
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Huonville
Huonville
Tasmania, Australia
6. Re: A short visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 24, 2009