We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on campervan itinerary

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
advice on campervan itinerary

Hi all,

My husband and my two sons (3yo and 4 yo) are off on an 11 day campervan tour of Tasmania from 13-24th January 2015. We have booked a maui campervan and I am now in the process of researching the best itinerary and placing bookings if needed as I heard it is peak season and very busy when we will be there?

My thoughts so far are these:

day one- New Norfolk

day two Strahan

day three and four- Cradle mountain

day five and six- Launceston

day seven- St Helens

day eight- Bircheno

day nine- Swansea

Day 10- Port Arthur

Day 11- Hobart then return van, stay in hotel overnight in hobart in Salamanca (any recommendations here?)

Any advice on whether this is a good itinerary or if people feel I have glaringly left something out. Is it too rushed with two young children?

Also I wanted to know if people would recommend free camping or paying for campsites? I figured we might do a bit of both, so is there any great free spots that people suggest we don't miss or vice-versa.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Shelley Dennis

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

I would try and reorganise your itinerary so that you had 2 or 3 days at Strahan.

In so far as free camping is concerned the Tassie experts might be able to help, camping beside the road or in car parks is generally frowned on and potentially dangerous.

In that respect I would get a Big4 or Top choice membership and stay at registered caravan parks. The membership will give you discounts and other benefits and the caravan parks have great facilities especially for kids.

Just be aware its the fire season even in Tassie so you will need to keep an eye on the weather and any alerts that may be issued.

Safe travels.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

Thanks. Its funny getting advice about tassie from a fellow geelongian. Hahaha. I looked into caravan parks today and some are crazy priced so have researched loads of free camping but will pay for a park in cradle mountain and launceston. Have gone in a ballot for two nights at coles bay so hopefully get that. Still working it out but afyer my day of research I feel more confident that if webook a couple of nights in we can work aaround that once there. Unless anyone else with experience thinks im on the wrong track?

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

Good luck and enjoy Tassie is a great place to visit regardless the time of the year:-)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

Another option I didn't mention was to travel over to Tassie as a passenger on the Spirit on one of the day trips they do at that time of the year.

I could be wrong but you should be able to hire a camper at Devonport and return it when you pick up the Spirit for the return trip to Melbourne.

Its possible you may be able to arrange for it to be delivered to the Spirits Terminal at Devonport. Certainly would put a different perspective on the Tassie trip and picking up the ship at Port Melbourne would probably beat having to go to Tullamarine to catch a flight.

Also do a search of the forum for campervans and avoid the ones that get bad reviews like the plague.

Good luck with your trip.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

Yes we are hiring one through maui from hobart. Got flights through jetstar for $110 per peeson return....a steal. We ended up going the 6 berth for extra room with the kids. I have taken ur advice and think im adding extra night in strahan. Means taking one away from cradle mountain or launceston. You can only book the van sites at cradle mountain for a two night min so thats a factor as well. Im starting to also wonder if cutting places oit altogether might be better to avoid too manybmiles with the kids in tow? Thanks for all ur suggestions so far.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,563 posts
204 reviews
6. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

St Helens Bicheno is a short drive, less than 2 hours,

Swansea Bicheno is about an hour…and i can see no real reason the stay in Swansea, unless you are using it for Freycinet..

Salamanca is a bit noisy by night….. think night life kind of area with lots of bars and restaurants. Is this OK for you?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

Ive actually now gone in the ballot for two nights site at coles bay (fingers crossed). This will replace the night in bicheno and swansea. We might drive back into bicheno for the night penguin tour? Do u think this is a good plan?

As for hobart. Booked our last night in best western at battery point. Cheaper than any in salamanca. And we will just walk there (10 min apparently) in the morning for the markets.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

Also guru which should I take one night off to add one to strahan. From cradle mountain or launceston?

Edited: 5:50 am, July 26, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,563 posts
204 reviews
9. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

I'm not the right person to ask that one…

I didn't like Strahan…. (I'll be fair, i live beside a National Park with very similar vegetation and a river)

as for the drive back in….. how are you with wildlife?

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: advice on campervan itinerary

My hubby will be doing most of the driving and is a country boy with experience with heavy vehicles. We have heard tazzie roads are windy and tough. Have to be careful of wildlife too I guess?

I looked up strahan after advice from fellow geelongian above and saw it had many activities I think my kids will love.

There is too much to do and not enpugh time!!!