We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

Perth
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

We will be travelling around Tasmania for 16 days next February. Starting Hobart, Strahan, Stanley, Lauceston. After Launceston thinking of staying in Bicheno sightseeing in Coles Bay and Freycinet. We then want to go to Port Arthur before heading to Hobart to fly home from.

We only have three nights to do Bicheno and Port Arthur. Not sure if to do two nights in Bicheno (not sure if there is a lot to see) and one either in Port Arthur or if there are any nice towns to stay reasonably close to Port Arthur (that may not be as expensive for accommodation) and do the two nights there instead of two nights in Bicheno. I know there is a lot to see in Port Arthur but we are more into nature and wineries and countryside than history so one day would probably be enough for us there.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

We recently did a similar trip and stayed 2 nights in Bicheno and one at White Beach (near Port Arthur). That is what I would recommend.

This is what we did:

- arrive late avo to Bicheno (we had come from Cradle Mountain), quick look around town

- full day Freycinet National Park ( gorgeous and worth a whole day) then Penguin Tour in Bicheno at night

- drive to Port Arthur, afternoon at convict site then ghost tour at night

- morning Tasman Is cruise (highly recommended), quick look around Eaglehawk Neck then drive to Hobart.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

There's plenty to see and do on the Tasman Peninsula around Port Arthur. The fast boat cruise is excellent and places like the National Park and Eaglehawk Neck are worth a visit. More info here: http://www.tasmanregion.com.au/

February is the peak season and you may find it difficult to book for less than two days anywhere on the easy coast. And there are not may accommodation choices near Port Arthur.

More info here:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g504319-Port_Arthu…

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g261650-Bicheno_Ta…

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

White beach or Nubeena would be my choice for your night at port arthur

We stayed at Parsons Bay retreat (harpers was my first choice but closed) and it was excellent ($138 and self cater near to IGA) and 10 mins too PA site

then other possibility was larus but as we were drive up and had no consistent phone reception we needed a person

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

Wotif.com is good for looking at hotel and b&b accommodation in the Tasman Peninsula as it shows all options on the whole peninsula under Port Arthur heading. If you want self contained you'll need to use something like stays.com to see the full range but some of these are also listed on wotif.com.there are several small towns like White Beach, Nubeena, Koonya, Taranna, Saltwater a River which are all within easy reach of Port Arthur itself.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

This link may also assist you regarding Freycinet NP region. We did a similar trip & stayed at Swansea to explore the FNP.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i38962-Swansea_…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

Bicheno is in a nice location but you're right - there isn't a lot to see. Nevertheless it's a handy base for getting to Freycinet and I agree with ShazDwn that's it's worth a day there. As such, I agree with the others to spend two nights on the Tasman Peninsula rather than 2 at Bicheno.

Perth
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

Thanks all for your information and advice. As we are only travelling from Launceston to Bicheno and will be there early, will do one night at Bicheno and look around Freycinet and 2 nights at White Beach. They have vacancies at Harpers by the Beach so will book that. This will give us time to do Port Arthur and the Tasman cruise. Is the "Fast boat cruise" the same as the "Tasman Island cruise"?

Does anyone know if there are any discounts for this cruise in the Tasmania Entertainment book as was thinking of getting one. (If not I can look up on line.)

Once again, thanks to all.

8. Re: East Cost - Bicheno / Port Arthur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 18, 2015