We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit tasmania to view autumn leaves?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit tasmania to view autumn leaves?

Hi, we would be visiting Tasmania from 12 May - 18 May this year. Is that the right time to view autumn foliage? I understand that it probably changes from year to year but usually when is the best time? I want to catch the colours in their full autumn glory, and not when it initially turns.

I'm hoping that someone who lives in Tasmania would be able to help on this. thanks!

Edited: 12:53 am, March 17, 2014
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,842 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit tasmania to view autumn leaves?

Mid May is the ideal time, so your dates are about right,

Tasmania is home to Australia's only native deciduous tree which puts on an autumn display - Nothofagus gunnii. The place to go to see it is Mount Field National Park near Hobart: www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=3244

Otherwise, the deciduous trees are the European trees in the cities - especially Hobart and Launceston.

Luigi

2. Re: Best time to visit tasmania to view autumn leaves?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 19, 2015