We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

I am a first-time hiker with average fitness looking to participate in the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk in April. Have you joined the walk before? Was it challenging for you? Any advice on pre-walk training, gear or general tips would be greatly appreciated!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,183 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

It's a relatively easy, flat, enjoyable walk and the most you do in a day is about 14km. While you should be used to walking to do the trip, it does not require particularly high levels of fitness.

There's a list of stuff you need to take here: http://www.bayoffires.com.au/trip-essentials/

In April, you need to be prepared for changes in the weather. It won't be bright and sunny all the time. And the nights are definitely cold.

Luigi

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

Hi Luigi, thanks for your advice! I've looked through the list and wonder if you have any recommendations for hiking boots and thermal wear?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,183 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

For thermal underwear, just pop down to somewhere like Paddy Pallin or Kathmandu. I'm sure there are equivalents in Singapore. Or wait until you get to Launceston.

I wear Teva Dozers for walking so that I can feel the mud squish through my toes. But I think they don't comply with the Lodge's recommendations. :(

What they describe is something like these: www.paddypallin.com.au/footwear/mens.html

Or these (lower ankle) ones would probably get more use after the trip: www.kathmandu.com.au/footwear/mens/shoes.html

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

Thank you so much Luigi!! Really nervous and excited about this walk; I hope I will be fine :)

5. Re: Bay of Fires Lodge Walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 09, 2015