We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhome tour

Colchester England
Level Contributor
102 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Motorhome tour

We've travelled by motorhome throughout New Zealand and also the route from Cairns to Exmouth via NSW. VIC and SA but could anyone please give me advice on how long we should allow for a tour of Tasmania, taking in all the major routes and the places of interest along the way. The Australia mainland tour last year took ten weeks which was only just adequate; would a three week campervan hire in Tasmania be sufficient or should we allow a bit longer?

Thank you

2800trucker

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorhome tour

Hi. My first trip around Tasmania was 3 weeks and i think even allowing for a motorhome maybe going slower on Tasmania's winding roads 3 weeks should be fine. I don't know what sort of motorhome you have in mind, I suppose I am picturing something biggish. Anyway I'm sure you'll get more qualified help in the morning from the Tassie experts and the motorhome experts, but in the meantime there's a couple of links in the Top Questions over on the right which you might find useful, 'Touring by car' which has itinerary ideas and 'Campervanning in Tasmania'.

Edited: 10:16 am, January 21, 2014
Colchester England
Level Contributor
102 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorhome tour

MacKnee

Thank you very much for that rapid response and valuable information. We did have a 'biggish' motorhome for our tour on the Australian mainland but plan to keep to a smaller 'campervan' type for a Tasmania trip. I've worked out an itinerary, starting obviously from Hobart as we would land there from a flight from UK via either Sydney or Melbourne, which would be about 2750 kms long. That would take in most of the main routes (I'm steering well clear of the unsealed roads as we did get shaken about on several of those off the Eyre Highway!) and would also take in most of the cities/towns and other places of great interest along the way.

Your help is very much appreciated!

2800trucker

Canberra, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorhome tour

I've just returned from ten days in Tasmania with my partner and 10yo grandson. As an ex-Tasmanian I wasn't seeking to go everywhere and do everything on this trip, so we didn't go to the West Coast at all. Three weeks should give you enough time to see most of the things you want. I'd suggest allowing a little more time for driving than the distances seem to warrant. Tasmania has interesting places everywhere.

My personal favourites are Cradle Mountain (allow for wet weather), Strahan (touristy but cute), Mole Creek Campground (always seems to be friendly), Eaglehawk Neck, MONA (must see).

Free camping in Tasmania is safe and easy, so don't feel tied to campgrounds (although there are a few areas where overnight stops are not permitted).

The weather can be changeable, so take something warm, even in summer.

Make sure you use a reputable hire firm. Some of the cheapies can lead to a bad experience. TA has some good advice.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Colchester England
Level Contributor
102 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorhome tour

To Barry W

Many thanks for your posting. It's given me a lot more info to work on. I've been told by quite a number of Australians that, when arranging an itinerary for Tasmania, I should work out approximate travelling times between locations and then double it! When carrying out our motorhome tour in the mainland last year from Cairns to Exmouth I did allow considerable extra time, not so much, in that case, to cater for hills and roads that weren't straight but so that we could enjoy the locations and scenery at a leisurely pace. Thank you.

2800trucker

australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorhome tour

We did 16 days in Tassie.We stayed 3 nights in Hobart to get over jet lag and enjoy the sights there.Staying in IXL apartments was a wonderful start to our holiday.The ferry to MONA is so convenient and also a shuttle bus up Mt Wellington.Then had motor home for 13 days but another week would have been perfect .Cradle Mountain and New Norfolk (heimat chalet have 2 ensuite sites) are unmissable places to stay.

Colchester England
Level Contributor
102 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorhome tour

Thank you for your comments and advice, much appreciated. Did check out Fountainside Hotel, have read reviews that say it's a great hotel but a bit noisy as it's on a busy roundabout. Used to being on a busy thoroughfare in UK so don't think it'll bother us!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorhome tour

Just got back from 10day camper van tour of Tasmania. We hired a four berth van and found it difficult to park in Hobart and Launceston, even tho they say they are RV friendly they are not! If you are using a smaller van it shouldn't be a problem. If you like walking then the west coast area is a must. Two other things we would recommend seeing are The Wall in Derwent Bridge, and a night tour at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary just outside Hobart. Enjoy your stay, we loved it and need to go back to see all the areas we missed!

8. Re: Motorhome tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, May 14, 2014
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorhome tour

Okay okay, slow down EliseRewell, no need to copy and paste your complaint onto every campervan thread you can find. Everyone who has posted on the threads will get an email saying there has been another reply and they'll click on the link, see it's another lengthy rant by someone who rented a cheap campervan and then found out it actually was cheap, roll their eyes, and consign the memory to the 'campervan' garbage bin. One post is fair enough because that's what TA is all about, sharing your travel experiences to benefit other travellers (though IME a common theme in these rants is lack of prior research so I'm not sure how much it works for campervans), but please don't spam the forum with your displeasure and then never post again about any other aspect of your trips, past or planned for. Seriously, I hope now that you have found TA you will stick around, to help others and to benefit from the help available yourself. And please let us know how taking the complaint further goes, we don't often hear if anything was resolved. But keep it on your own thread please.

Edit: D'oh, gone.

Edited: 11:09 am, May 14, 2014
10. Re: Motorhome tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, May 14, 2014