We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 days touring - accomodation needed

West Aust
11 posts
Save Topic
16 days touring - accomodation needed

We are a family of four wanting to tour around all of Tassie from Dec 11 2006 to Dec 27 2006. We are looking into cottages/bed and breakfasts as opposed to hiring a camper (too expensive!) and staying at tourist parks. Can anyone advise about a few "central" places to stay for 4 or 5 days that are close enough to tour a region? Budget minded, pref up to $130 (AUD) a night, self contained and older kid friendly.

West Aust
11 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. We have our school holidays start about 10 or so days before the Tas and eastern states holidays, so we thought that it wouldnt be as busy (for the first half of our stay anyway)....but regardless we will book ahead. How much does Harvey World travel - or similar -charge for booking? - is there any benefit in going for a package with airfares and car rental? We have always booked ourselves in to accomodation in the past, for more flexibility more than anything.

thanks again!

Hobart
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

A friend and I stayed in a cute cottage in strahan called 'Gull Cottage' and paid about $110 for the two bedroom cottage I think. Strahan is often expensive as it is very touristy in summer and this was one of the most reasonable we found (the whole town is sometimes booked out for accomodation).

The cottage is simple, but very clean and gives you the option of self catering as it has a kitchen and BBQ outside. Across the road is a childrens park and a lovely sandy beach.

Another option for the west coast is to stay at other towns such as Zeehan and Queenstown (about 30mins drive), where there are more accomodation options.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

We have just booked our own accommodation on-line. Travelling just after your planned trip, also with a 16 day timeframe. Likewise, we are limited by budget but although we are travelling over the peak Xmas/New Year period, we were able to book within our budget of $130 per night max. I cannot vouch for any of these, but here is a list of what we have booked - some weren't our first choice as many are already booked out:

1. Hobart - Mercure Hotel, city

2. Swansea - Swansea Motor Inn

3. Launceston - Mercure Earlington Hotel

4. Wynyard - The Waterfront (waterfront motel)

5. Rosebery - Mount Black Lodge (B&B - good reviews)

6. Queenstown - Queenstown Motor Lodge (have been advised to avoid overpriced Strahan)

7. New Norfolk - The Junction (motel)

8. Taranna - Mason's Cottages (s/c cottages near Port Arthur)

I, too, found that many B&Bs allow only two occupants per room so it seems they actively discourage families, although their websites often don't make this clear. That's why we were forced into motels.

Enjoy your trip!

St. George, UT
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

I am going to Tasmania for 14 days leaving country about a week before you get there. Since I am from the US, my Aussie friends are making the arrangements. We have reservations at Cosy Cabins. Their website is www.cosycabins.com. They look very family friendly and are located at different points around the state. I don't know how nice they are, but my friends said they heard that they are nice albeit not fancy. Good luck!

Does anyone know what kind of weather to expect? I have heard to prepare for the full spectrum of weather. Thanks.

Stanley, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

Hi Tassihopeful,

Try the Stanley caravan & tourist park. It is very clean and central to lots of activities and places to visit. Also look at places to stay in Stanley on the reviews.

Westinlet

Stanley

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

another place to look for accommodation is www.stays.com.au which has B&B's, cottages etc. just look up the areas you want to stay in

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

Hi

We are a family of four and I have recently booked our holiday to Tasmania, I found booking over the internet a lot cheaper than via a travel agent. Also Booked the car via Rentforless. This offered the cheapest deal for the car we ususally hire a Mitsibushi Magna/Toyota Camery it was $150.00 cheaper than the other major car hire firm. But it is strongly suggested that you book early as the more popular cars can be booked out. This includes cummulative 200 km per day eg 10 days = 2000km more than enough for Tassie.

We got a good deal iwth Hobart Apartments in conjunction with fairways resort, they allow you to split book so that you can stay several nights up the road from Port Arthur and do the night Ghost tour (my kids can'r wait their 9,16 & 17) and not have to drive all the way back it cost a total of $575 for 5 days. Please note our initial booking with this Hobart Hotel was $877, so you have to do your research and look for the special deals.

All the best. We are going during the September holidays. If you like we can give you feedback on the places that we stayed at.

all the best.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

Hi - we visited Tasmania last Christmas - stayed with family in the Huon Valley. I note no-one mentions the Huon Valley as a place to visit - beautiful scenery - Kettering was a particular favourite of ours with a fabulous coffee shop where you can sit and watch the ferry coming and going from Bruni. We have a 14 year old daughter - who thought Tasmania was too quiet (after having spent time in Sydney and Cairns) however she loved Salamanca Market in Hobart and also Nature World which was on the coastal drive to Launceston (passed Bicheno). The family who run the park take in injured animals and if possible, return them to the wild. You are able to hold baby kanagroos, wombats etc. Lots of kangaroos wandering around the park that you can feed - we saw two roos with joeys in their pouches.

There was another post asking about the weather - we arrived 18th December and left 4th January and the weather was very changeable - they say England has 4 seasons in one day - I think Tasmania follows the same rule! Go prepared for sun, wind and rain although it was never too cold.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

Hi tassihopeful -

We're Americans who love Tassie! We don't have kids, but prefer self-contained accommodation and have found some wonderful places to stay. Here are some sites I found very helpful when planning our Tassie tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1589-Tasmania_…

trips:

www.greatplacestostay.com.au

www.totaltravel.com.au

www.travelmate.com.au

www.cottages.com.au

www.stayz.com.au

www.allstays.com/australia

www.hobartstays.com.au

www.tasmanianabedandbreakfast.com

20. Re: 16 days touring - accomodation needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 16, 2009