We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overland track access

Luanda
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overland track access

We are trying to get to the overland track to start a hike on Dec. 11. Our original plan was to hire a car and park at the end of the track and organize transport from Lake St. Clair to Cradle Mountain, which seems to be almost impossible, though I have read that this is the best option. How do most folks go about this? Is there a better way of organizing our transportation?

Thanks!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,018 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overland track access

Hi,

Many ask the question, and I don't believe anyone has answered a posters question who has walked the track, not sure if this is true, well I know I haven't.

Maybe you should to contact a walking/hiking clubs in Tasmania, and have a look at the link below for transport options.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c187357/Ta…

www.tasmanianexpeditions.com.au/index.php

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 4:08 pm, November 11, 2013
Oz
Level Contributor
12,163 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overland track access

Hi,

IMHO the Overland Track is best traversed with the finish at Cradle Mountain where you can unwind for a few nights in the luxury of the lodge! The contractors running the guided tours offer this as an option.

To access one end of the track from the other a chopper is the way to go and it puts your walk in perspective.

http://www.cradlemountainhelicopters.com.au/

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overland track access

I have walked the track twice.

I think the problem is that people want the logistics to be easy, but it's not.

During the summer walking season from 1st October to 31st May you can ONLY walk the track from north to south, ie. from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair.

It is not easy to organise the logistics of the walk independently, but I wrote the first link in Rob's post to explain how to get to the start point by public transport from Launceston (several choices) and to Hobart from the end point (Queenstown to Hobart bus).

Logically, one should fly into Launceston and out of Hobart or commute between the two by bus. Trying to start in Hobart makes it even more difficult because it takes an extra day to get to Launceston and busses do not run to Cradle every day

The best way to do the walk is with a guiding company that organises all the transport for you - and yes the most expensive ones use helicopters and that would be lovely, I'm sure.

There's more info on those companies here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-d568223/Ta…

For those who want to do it independently, this website is also helpful, but I think the previous link on public transport to Cradle distills it well enough. tasmania.bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php…

And you MUST read this: www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=7771

Luigi

4. Re: Overland track access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 13, 2014