We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with 3 month old

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Travelling with 3 month old

Hi,

We will be travelling with our three month old for the first time. We are planning on a seven day visit to Tasmania in December. But we are quite lost as to where to start keeping in mind that we have a baby on board. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

I travelled around the world with a baby - many moons ago. Apart from disturbed sleep due to time-zone routine changes, she didn't seem overly concerned about it.

I guess it'd be the same today visiting Tasmania from Adelaide. I can't really see that it would matter what you do or where you go - to a 3 mo old.

You certainly need to make provision in your plans to bring a baby cocoon for the car or rent one through the car rental company, but other than that .... Airlines let you bring baby stuff like that with you for free.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

I hope you are breast-feeding (much easier than trying to heat bottles and sterilise etc

My eldest started doing long road trips at 4 weeks.

things I found useful

a folding chair in the boot, sitting in the car feeding can be very uncomfortable, an extra flannel/towel under the base of the traveller for "blowouts" , a fly net for the wheels as it work well for shade and airflow, having food on baord for you too as baby may not need the stops in town..

BYO car restraint...

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

I've been travelling with both my children since they we're newborns. A dummy or bottle, or breast, for the plane to avoid sore ears, a couple of bunny rugs or wraps for covering surfaces and on-the-floor nappy changes, and plenty of baby wipes will come in handy. You'll have no problem finding any supplies you need in the main towns and cities. Hotels almost always have a porta cot for in your room if you let them know you will have a baby with you. Hotels and cafés are also usually happy to oblige with bottle warming if you need it. There are also a number of options for baby changing and feeding facilities in the major centres. The visitor information centres or council offices can usually help with the locations.

Lani

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

Not to sure Tania wanted tips on how to be a mother, there's a pretty good chance she'll be on to that. I'd give the hikes a miss. For instance, I wouldn't do the Dove Lake walk with a three month old, nor the Wineglass Bay trek. Stick to the mainstream locations and you can still get a feel for Tas without stressing the little one or yourselves

Tasmania
Level Contributor
444 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

We'll I guess you're right Glenn, she didn't ask for parenting tips. As Luigi says, there is really no reason why the trip should need to be modified at all.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. This is roughly what I have in mind. Do you think this is doable with baby?

DAY 1 (Wednesday)

Walk around the city center

Salamanca Place to Hunter street

Waterfront (Sullivan’s Cove) (Can take a ferry trip from here, look for council operated one and a half hour free car parks)

Tasmanian museum and Art Gallery

Old Penitentiary Chapel

Runnymede

Cascade Female Factory

Chocolate Factory

Salamanca square

DAY 2 (Thursday)

Mount Field National Park (Russell Falls)

Or, Bruny Island

Or,

Huon Valley

Tahune Airwalk (50 min return. Initial gradual steps. Pram can be taken. Bring rain cover. Advisable to use a baby career)

Hauon trail (20min easy, advisable to use baby career)

DAY 3(Friday)

Louisa’s walk (9:30pm from December and 2pm. Starts outside Cascade brewery)

Mt Nelson Lookout (10min from city)

Mt Wellington (30 min from city)

Museum of Old and New Art

DAY 4(Saturday)

Salamanca markets (8:30-3pm)

Closeby historic St David’s park

Battery Point

Hobart Hopper (free shuttle bus 8:30am to 4pm)

City Center (shopping center of Hobart)

Can visit nearby beaches

DAY 5(Sunday)

Day trip to Port Arthur and Tasman National Park

Lookouts-Eaglehawk neck, Tasman Arch/Devil’s kitchen, Tasman Blowhole/Fossil Bay

DAY 6(Monday)

CBD to Barilla Bay(Barilla Bay Oyster Farm) to Sorrel (Sorrel Fruit Farm) to Richmond (lots to see including model village). All within 15 minutes of each other.

Or go straight to Richmond (25mins from CBD) via Cambridge while visiting some wineries in Coal River Valley

Day 7(Tuesday)

Catching morning flight

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

Yes, I think it's all doable, but it could be abbreviated.

Louisa's Walk ends at the Cascads Female factory, so i wouldn't bother to do them as separate activities on separate days.

You could travel to Port Arthur via Richmond, Barilla Bay and Sorell Fruit Farm on Day 5, thus leaving you an entire spare day to do one of the other things you won't be able to fit in on Day 2.

If you are going to the top of Mount Wellington, you needn't bother with Mount Nelson.

What do you intend to see on the Hobart Hopper?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

You may not get everywhere on your list but everything is doable with a three month old. Sounds like the makings of a good trip

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

Glenn I guess you have the perfect experience of being a mum with a baby travelling... LOL... if its number 1 you might be surprised that you leanr by experience and little tips help.... it wonderful being stuck with a nappy blowout all over the car seat cover in Jeridlerie , hadn't happened until then......

yeah my first trip with GS was a real eye opener....

there are things you don't even think of, until they happen

Looks like you are pretty much sticking to Hobart so the tips re dealing with drives are moot

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling with 3 month old

No experience at being a perfect mum. Plenty of experience at being a parent though. I became a sole parent when my children were aged 9 and 7 so I've had plenty of experience of being both mum and dad. Both my kids completed uni and are now both successful and happily married, well adjusted people. Not bad for someone that doesn't know about dirty nappies and spends his days at the pub