We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Ghost Tour

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
398 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Best Ghost Tour

Well I had no idea there would be so many on offer in the Apple Isle.

I had thought Launceston as it was rated as one of the top things to do in Launceston.

Then I saw the Port Arthur one - but it has some mediocre reviews.

And now I see there is one in Hobart too.

We're going to all three places (lucky us).

I'm travelling with my 11 year old boy so please consider the kiddo-appeal. I'm not looking for scary effects but more interesting tales with a few things to look at too.

BTW, I'm not a true believer in ghosts. This would be for a bit of fun and alternative tour of a location.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated as always.

Kim & 11 yo son

Sydney

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania I Drive
Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Ghost Tour

I've done them all and, IMO, the best one is at the Penitentiary Chapel in Hobart. http://hobartghosts.com/

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
398 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Ghost Tour

Thanks Luigi. Have had a look and see it runs on limited nights. So will see how we go.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Ghost Tour

I did one in Hobart with two 12 yr old girls. They loved it. It was definitely theatrical and pretty 'cheesy', but still fun, and the guide provided some interesting commentary on the history of various sites.

As a non-believer it was particularly amusing to watch/listen to the 'believers' in our group - I didn't see a ghost but a number of others sure did! And my daughter's friend is still convinced there is a ghost/spectre in one of the photos she took :0)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,089 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Ghost Tour

Out of 38 reviews for the Port Arthur Ghost Tours, 32 of them rated the tour "Very Good" or "Excellent". So, I wouldn't be too concerned with a few "Average" reviews. Our family has done lots of ghosts tours in various places around the world, and I think we would rate this one as one of the top 3. In fact, my kids STILL talk about this tour! They were 14 and 11 when we did this tour, so I think it would be just about right for your son--lots of spooky stories in a spooky locale, but no fake scary effects.

Even I, a non-believer in ghosts, had a fabulous time.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,135 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Ghost Tour

Hi,

The best Ghost Tour in Tassy doesn't advertise as such. If you go on a tour of the Isle of The Dead when in Port Arthur it has an ambience all its' own!

www.portarthur.org.au/index.aspx?base=1930

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
6. Re: Best Ghost Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 20, 2014