We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

My wife and I had always planned to visit Tasmania. Unfortunately she now has an illness that severely restricts her capacity to walk, she can only last about 15 minutes and is lucky to walk 400 metres in that time.

I would still like to take her to Tasmania for a week driving around and was hoping for suggestions of where we could go that won't involve too much walking.

I was thinking of flying into Launceston and driving to Hobart via the west coast but am unsure of where to stop and what sights can be seen without a lot of walking. Would the east coast be better?

We would probably spend a couple of days in Hobart so would be looking for something to do there as well. She would love to see Port Arthur but I understand there is a lot of walking to be done there.

All or any suggestions would be appreciated. If we go it will probably be in October.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

Of the National Parks, Cradle Mountain and Mount Field are probably OK with limited mobility. So you could head to the west coast via Cradle Mountain via the usual touristy stops along the way, then continue on down to Strahan from there and then to Hobart via Mount Field.

At Strahan, you won't have any problems with the Gordon River cruise.

Freycinet National Park on the east coast is a bit difficult with limited mobility. The most popular walk to the lookout above Wineglass Bay is 600 uphill steps and the flatter walks on the peomontory are quite long.

Port Arthur will be OK. It covers a big area, but you don't have to go everywhere and the guided tour is quite leisurely. Much of the site (notably except the cruise boat stops) is wheelchair accessible and you can borrow them from the Info Centre. More info here: www.portarthur.org.au/index.aspx?base=1504

Luigi

Edited: 12:07 pm, September 26, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

Thanks Luigi, you've given me the confidence to keep planning.

Greg

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

To add to Luigi's comments, they also have big golf carts at Port Arthut that shuttle people who need it from one place to the other. I guess you just ask at the desk when you arrive and they will tell you how to get one when you need it!

Edited: 6:42 pm, September 26, 2013
4. Re: Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 28, 2014