We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania

8 posts
Save Topic
Tasmania

Tasmania in mid November with family for 10 days need a good itinerary ,drive or bus tours regards

Prestige Leisure Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours
Wineglass Bay Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tours Tasmania
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,488 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania

In 10 days you can see most of the island. Self-drive is the easiest way to do it.

For thoughts on an itinerary, have a browse through the Top Questions on the right of this page - especially the one titled Touring by Car. You could do much of the big circle it describes.

We'd be happy to offer any help we can with detailed questions.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,186 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania

You could also advise us what are your likes, scenery, animals, beach or wilderness etc. Do you want to base yourself in 3 or 4 places so you don't have to pack and unpack to much, or a different spot every night?

As Luigi has stated, have a read of the Top Questions, and come back to us with more detailed questions.

Safe travels - Robert

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania

Thanks ,I was wondering is it sensible to base yourself in Hobart and do day trips around Tassie ?, Or Is it better to move around and stay in different locations ? Suggestions please ,cost efficient to move around ?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,488 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania

Tasmania is bigger than you think. While you could spend a few days in Hobart and doing day trips from it, you cannot see more than the south east corner of the island while based there.

Again, I'll recommend that you spend some time browsing through the Top Questions on the right of this page - and also the TQs on the Hobart and Launceston forum pages.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania

Not one base for the whole island, no, impossible and inefficient. Have you got some idea of specifics you want to see yet?

Edit: What he said :-) ⤴

Edited: 6:38 am, August 22, 2013
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania

Thanks for the advice touring by car is great ! 👍😄

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania

Have you got some idea of specifics you want to see yet?

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania

Day 1 Hobart Salamanca markets.Ferry to see MONA,Cascade Brewery .Drive to Mount Wellington.Day 2 Port Arthur and Tasman Peninsula .Day 3 East Coast to Swansea and then Coles bay .? Stay overnight or head of to Launceston .st Helen and north east.

8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tasmania

Good morning Luigi,is it okay to stay 2 days Hobart,?2 or 3 Days Launceston. Any suggestions which is great to stay and appreciate Tassie ,Regards

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,186 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tasmania

Hi Michael,

IMO a fly in to Launceston, drive the east coast and fly out of Hobart is a great option.

Say, 3 nights in Launceston, 2 nights in Bicheno, 2 night on the Tasman Peninsula and 3 nights in Hobart. This is a more relaxed option, if you don't mind unpacking and packing every day, you could do a circuit, but as Luigi has stated Tassie is bigger than it looks, especially with driving times, IMO this would be rushed. I have just completed an 8 day trip along the East Coast, and I felt the amount of time we had was rushed.

If you base yourself in Launceston and Hobart for 3 nights, you can do great day trips from them.

Launceston, days trips up and down the Tamar, Cradle Mountain, the Sheffield and Mole Creek areas.

From Hobart, you can day trip to Bruny Island, the Huon area, further to the southwest, Hobart itself as you have mentioned, MONA, Mt Field, Richmond, and make sure you're in Hobart Saturday morning for the Salamanca Markets. Again as you have already pointed out, do the markets in the morning, and MONA in the afternoon.

In the northwest, a real treat in my books is a late afternoon at Narawntapu National Park

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255096…

The east coast, make sure you visit The Gardens near Binalong Bay, and In my books a beach visit to Friendly Beaches between Bicheno and Coles Bay.

The Tasman Peninsula a must is the 3 hour eco cruise, of course Port Arthur, the Coal Mine Convict ruins at Saltwater Creek, Doo Town and area, Remarkable Cave is worth a visit if you have time.

As stated have a good look at the Top questions, especially the "TOURING by car"

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert