We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

Hi all,

My family of 5 is visiting Tasmania for the first time from 6 - 12 august (6 days). Currently, a lot of our plans are still uncertain and it would be great if I could get some help. We're flying into Hobart on the 6th and will be renting a car to drive upwards for the rest of the trip. We plan to fly out from Launceston (or take a ferry with the car if possible??) to Melbourne on the 12th.

I'm travelling with my parents so we're more interested in sceneries/scenic drives, wine or food tasting, experiencing nature, perhaps visit some interesting villages rather than any strenuous walk or hiking activities (hope this gives you some idea). We're open to doing some thrilling activities such as boat ride etc if time permits. I've done some research myself, which includes reading the top questions asked, and have narrowed down these attractions in no particularly order:

- Hobart (don't know how many days to stay here as a base? We will give the Salamanca market a miss since we arrive on tues and it only opens on Sat)

- Port Arthur (I think we'll give this is a miss? Family not so interested in historic site)

- Mount Wellington / Mt Field National Park? (from Hobart)

- Tasman Peninsula (take a cruise here?)

- Freycinet Peninsula (Coles bay, Wineglass bay, honeymoon bay, anything else??)

- Swansea (i read that this is a lovely stop)

- Bicheno (penguins, blowhole.. maybe not?)

- Bays of Fires

- Tamar Valley Wineries (for the wine, scenery and food..)

- Bruny island (not sure if we should see this or have time for it.. The Neck seems like a beautiful view but might not want to climb the stairs.. anything else to do here?)

Cradle Mountain (would love to stay a night here but do we have enough time to do this?)

- Cataract gorge in Launceston

These are the possible attractions that we might visit if time allows. Please let me know if it is too ambitious and what are the things that we should cut down. We have not booked our accommodation yet (because i'm not sure how many days we should stay at each place). Please advice on the duration for each stay and the order of travel as well.

Do let me know if there are other attractions that we should see that I may have missed out. Hope this is not too complicated or too much to ask. Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers :)

Edited: 5:24 am, June 25, 2013
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

Six days is a fair amount of time to do a one-way trip from Hobart to Launceston (to fly out) or Devonport (for the ferry).

I think you probably have too many things on your list, however, and you need to prioritise them, but the general route up the east coast seems to cover most of the places you mention. I think you probably need to delete the things that are not at or between your start and finish points. You simply don't have time for several days of day trips at each end of your journey. So, Cradle Mountain is probably only a viable option if you are heading to the ferry, not as a day trip from Launceston.

Note that rental cars cannot be taken on the ferry to Melbourne, but there's no reason why you could not drop the vehicle at the ferry terminal and catch the ferry, then use the 109 tram to get to Melbourne city from Station Pier. You can get a tram ticket (Myki card) at the Beacon Cove shop at Station Pier.

Just about all of the car rental companies have offices at or near the passenger terminal at Devonport.

Luigi

Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

Thanks Luigi. I've looked at these places on google map (see http://bit.ly/11Yky9D) and I know what you mean. However, I don't really know what are the things that are "not at or between the start and finish points" other than Cradle Mountain which seems rather off?

Also, could you advise which of these places we should stay at and for how long (since we don't mind moving accomodation everyday)? This is my number one problem that I need help figuring out at this point. I was actually planning to stay at cradle mountain for a night before heading to Launceston, rather than a day trip from Launceston. Is this workable?

I will check if taking the ferry option is cheaper than flying out. Seems like quite a journey/distance eh. I'm only considering this because it's a novelty for us :)

Edited: 1:35 pm, June 25, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

Hi ryukava, flying out of Launceston will be a much cheaper option than catching the ferry from Devonport to Melobourne.

A reasonable itinerary would be -

6/12/2013 Fly in to Hobart – look around Hobart, what you see and do depends on your arrival time.

7/12/2013 Hobart – look around Hobart, have a look atb the Top question about Hobart

8/12/2013 Drive to Tasman Peninsula, leave early for the cruise, and be there well before 10am.

9/12/2013 Drive to Bicheno; visit Coles Bay/Freycinet along the way.

10/12/2013 Drive to Cradle Mountain, this day is a long drive, but there’s plenty to see along the way.

11/12/2013 Drive to Launceston, before leaving Cradle Mt grab the shuttle bus to Cradle Mt/Dove Lake, then you could go to Launceston via the town of Sheffield, and then drop in to the Raspberry Farm cafe at Elizabeth Town for lunch, then head to the Cataract Gorge in Launceston.

12/12/2013 Fly out of Launceston – try to book a late flight out, say the 18.10 flight. This will give you most of the day looking around the Tamar.

Wherever you go make sure you’re off the roads before sunset in the rural areas, as there’s lots of wildlife that graze beside the roads, also your daylight hours for travelling aren’t long, around 10 hours.

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

Thank you very much for the suggested itinerary Robert. Unfortunately there is a mistake with our trip dates - it's actually 7/08/13 (we reach Hobart at 11am) to 11/08/13 (might leave for Melbourne in the morning from Launceston). I understand for such a short holiday of 4 days, we won't be able to see everything and have to cut back to two locations or so. I've modified our itinerary as such:

7/08/13 Hobart - Arrive in Hobart 11am, pick up car. Drive to the summit of Mt Wellington for some sightseeing, then head to Bruny Island (overnight at Bruny island?). Not sure how this sounds...

8/08/13 Drive to Freycinet. (drive through Richmond and Swansea along the way). Visit Coals Bay/Freycinet (heard scallop pie is good at Coals Bay) and overnight stay at Bicheno.

9/08/13 Explore Wineglass Bay, visit vineyard farms in Freycinet (please recommend any if you know). Overnight at Bicheno again???

10/08/13 Drive from Freycinet to Launceston. Visit Tamar Valley Wine region, Cataract Gorge and then overnight at Launceston.

11/08/13 - Leave for Melbourne in the morning.

Please help me to modify this itinerary if it doesn't sound reasonable (maybe there's too much driving without much time to see anything?) I guess we will not go to Cradle Mountain for this trip due to the limited time. Thanks!

Edited: 2:24 am, June 30, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

At the risk of offending that fine town, I think Launceston is less interesting than say Evandale, or Penguin, or Stanley. Admittedly, Stanley is a long way out. But Evandale is a nice village very close to Launceston airport.

6. Re: Need help planning a 6 days itinerary in TA (first time)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2014