My family of 5 is visiting Tasmania for the first time from 6 - 12 august (6 days). Currently, a lot of our plans are still uncertain and it would be great if I could get some help. We're flying into Hobart on the 6th and will be renting a car to drive upwards for the rest of the trip. We plan to fly out from Launceston (or take a ferry with the car if possible??) to Melbourne on the 12th.
I'm travelling with my parents so we're more interested in sceneries/scenic drives, wine or food tasting, experiencing nature, perhaps visit some interesting villages rather than any strenuous walk or hiking activities (hope this gives you some idea). We're open to doing some thrilling activities such as boat ride etc if time permits. I've done some research myself, which includes reading the top questions asked, and have narrowed down these attractions in no particularly order:
- Hobart (don't know how many days to stay here as a base? We will give the Salamanca market a miss since we arrive on tues and it only opens on Sat)
- Port Arthur (I think we'll give this is a miss? Family not so interested in historic site)
- Mount Wellington / Mt Field National Park? (from Hobart)
- Tasman Peninsula (take a cruise here?)
- Freycinet Peninsula (Coles bay, Wineglass bay, honeymoon bay, anything else??)
- Swansea (i read that this is a lovely stop)
- Bicheno (penguins, blowhole.. maybe not?)
- Bays of Fires
- Tamar Valley Wineries (for the wine, scenery and food..)
- Bruny island (not sure if we should see this or have time for it.. The Neck seems like a beautiful view but might not want to climb the stairs.. anything else to do here?)
Cradle Mountain (would love to stay a night here but do we have enough time to do this?)
- Cataract gorge in Launceston
These are the possible attractions that we might visit if time allows. Please let me know if it is too ambitious and what are the things that we should cut down. We have not booked our accommodation yet (because i'm not sure how many days we should stay at each place). Please advice on the duration for each stay and the order of travel as well.
Do let me know if there are other attractions that we should see that I may have missed out. Hope this is not too complicated or too much to ask. Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers :)Edited: 5:24 am, June 25, 2013