We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid September any tulips bloom?

Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mid September any tulips bloom?

I am only able to travel to Tasmania on the 2nd week of September. Would like to seek advice on whether the tulips will be in full bloom during that time? Also how is the weather during that time. Is it a good time to visit Tasmania? Thanks.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

Hi zizline, the optimum time for tulips flowering is very short, normally the last 2 weeks of September and the first week of October, the second week of September very doubtful you’ll see to much. But Wynyard is a lovely place to visit even without seeing blooming fields of tulips.

September is officially the last month of spring, but it will be cold, and in the north it’s normally the predominant month for snow, it still does have the winter feel, but any time is good to visit Tasmania.

Safe travels - Robert

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

The best place to go for tulips is Table Cape Tulip Farm, north of Wynyard.

I'd post a link to their website, but for several years now my anti-virus program won't allow me to open it because of malicious scripts. This one from a local gardens website will have to suffice: bloomingtasmania.com/tablecape-tulip-farm.php

Luigi

Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

Thank you both for your very helpful advice. Would like to seek your advice on the following itinerary:

jetabout.com.sg/packages-tour-detail.php…

Do check on "View Itinerary".

(1) Do you think it is a good itinerary? Should I extend one more day in Hobart (any other stuff worth doing there)? I have never been to Tasmania before. Plan to make a trip with my hubby. We love scenery, wildlife, farmers markets, cheese making, museums. Not into wineries though or hiking.

(2) Does it make sense to do this itinerary during the 2nd week of September? We are not too excited about really cold weather i.e. below 10 degrees Celsius.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

I think it might be a bit cold for you. If you don't want to be too cold and you want to see tulips could you move your trip to the beginning of October?

I hope when you say you are not into hiking you are okay with some walking. The best way to enjoy Tasmania's wonderful scenery is to do some walks. I don't mean necessarily 'hiking boots and backpacks' walks but certainly 'sturdy walking shoes and daypack with drink bottles and snacks' walks. (Btw daypack doesn't mean to imply the walk would take ALL day.)

I'll go and see if I can look at that itinerary again. It didn't work the first time I clicked on it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

Second week is the school holidays for my kids. Only time off for mummy ;)

Yes, some walking is absolutely necessary I understand to enjoy the lovely scenery in Australia. We were in Gold Coast with the kids last Nov, thus we were mostly in theme parks. Hoping to plan a more scenic and romantic trip this time round :)

Yes, I am worried about the weather a little.

Edited: 10:09 am, June 01, 2013
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

I can't open 'View Itinerary'

But at first I thought it was a tour and I see it's a self-drive package. Well, here's the basic info.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□

Package Includes :

~ Return economy class airfare Singapore - Melbourne - Hobart // Launceston - Melbourne - Singapore on Qantas Airways ("OSSO" Class)

~ 7 nights accommodation as follows:

* 2 Nights Rydges Hobart (Manor Suite)

* 1 Night Cradle Mountain Wildnerness Village (Cottage Room)

* 1 Night Hotel Grand Chancellor, Deluxe (Room only)

* 2 Nights Yering Gorge Cottage, 1 Bedroom (Bed & breakfast style)

* 1 Night Punthill Flinders Land, 1 Bedroom Apartment (Room only)

~ 6 Days Hertz Car Rental based on Hertz Car Group D - Hyundai i45 Sedan or similar (pickup from airport excludes AER)

~ Devils@Cradle After Dark Tour: Includes admission into Devils @ Cradle and guided Keepers Tour with viewing of feeding (Duration 1.5hour

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□

So I'm trying to understand.

2 nights Hobart

1 night Cradle Mountain

1 night somewhere, do they mean Launceston?

1 night Yarra Valley (not Tasmania)

2 nights Melbourne

I think since you've already started to research your trip on TA you may as well go the whole way and organise the trip yourself. Just based on the typos and quality of that webpage I'd have a go myself.

Oops, I just noticed, you said 2nd week of September is your only available time. It will be cool and variable but we visited in September and enjoyed it so if you dress appropriately you should be fine.

Edited: 10:12 am, June 01, 2013
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

I just saw your reply. Who is travelling?

Btw I'm still not able to open that 'View itinerary' link.

Edited: 10:25 am, June 01, 2013
Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

Just msg you the full itinerary. Yes, it is a self drive package.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

As I replied, best to continue here on the forum . . . . .

Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid September any tulips bloom?

Hi MacKnee,

Thanks for your reply. Was away on holiday thus the delayed reply. Noted on the Cadbury Chocolate Factory tour. A trip to the chocolate factory is not really a must do for us. I am more a whole foods person really :)

Yes, it is true I can plan according to our interest but was wondering if it is a good guide to start off with. Since I am pretty clueless about Tasmania. Does the basic route make sense? Are there more interesting places to stay and visit compared to those listed?

Also, we have decided to make the trip during the end of the year instead of Sept. That way we will not have to worry about the cold weather too much.

I will share the full itinerary as suggested below. It is a self drive package. Apart from scenery, wildlife, farmers markets, cheese making, museums, I am personally into organic produce and food items. It would be lovely if someone can recommend a visit to an organic farm (fruits or nuts esp macadamia nuts would be nice) or an organic co-op or shop where I can buy in bulk organic nuts, dried fruits and stuff. Or should I try to get them in Melbourne instead? Perhaps even a visit to a small working dairy farm who does raw milk who be a treat.

Any advise on the itinerary will be much appreciated.

=============================================================================

SUGGESTED ITINERARY

Day 1: Singapore / Hobart (via Melbourne)

Day 2: Arrive Hobart

Collect your Hertz rental car at Hobart Airport. Today start your sightseeing in Hobart, browse through antique stores, discover stunning arts and crafts, linger over a coffee in one the street cafes, explore the fishing harbour but don’t miss Salamanca Markets on Saturday morning. Join a Derwent River Cruise or tour of the famous Cadbury’s Chocolate Factory, or visit the Antarctic Adventure Centre.

Overnight: Rydges Hobart (Manor Suite)

Day 3: Hobart / Huon Valley / Hobart

South of Hobart is the Huon Valley and D’Entrecasteaux Channel district. Orchards stripe the Huon Valley, blossom in the spring and laden with fruit by late summer. Visit the Huon Valley Apple & Heritage Museum or take a cruise for a tour Tasmania’s Atlantic salmon farms, or enjoy the Devil Jet Boat ride with excitement, exhilaration and beautify scenery. Return to Hobart.

Overnight: Rydges Hobart (Manor Suite)

Day 4: Hobart / Cradle Mountain (378km / 5hours)

Don’t miss Saturday’s Salamanca Market - drive north along The Heritage Highway towards Launceston stopping at the Tasmanian Honey Company, Tasmanian Gourmet Sauce Company and Woolmers Estate. Continue to drive west towards Deloraine. Visit 41 Degrees South Salmon and Ginseng Farm to browse at the shop or taste the hotsmoked salmon and the famous Sauvignon Blanc 2004 with 2 year old ginseng root. Continue onto Elizabeth Town to visit Ashgrove Cheese where you can view the cheese making and maturing area. From the shop you can taste and buy a range of cheese. Stop at Sheffield before heading to Cradle Mountain. In the evening, make your own way to Devils @ Cradle to join the After Dark guided tour with viewing of feeding.

Overnight: Cradle Mountain Wildnerness Village (Cottage Room)

Day 5: Cradle Mountain / Launceston (181km/2.5hours)

Spend the morning exploring Cradle Mountain, visiting Dove Lake and the Visitor Centre. The awesome beauty of this region is truly inspiring. Visit the Trowunna Wildlife Park to get close to Tasmania’s wildlife or take a tour of Marakoopa Cave where you can see glow worms in the dark. Stop at The Honey Farm at Chudleigh to taste up to 50 different varieties of honey including Tasmania’s famous Leatherwood honey before arriving into Launceston.

Overnight: Hotel Grand Chancellor, Deluxe (Room only)

Day 6: Launceston / Melbourne (by Qantas flight) / Yarra Valley (61km/1hour)

Check out The Tasmanian Gourmet Sauce Company, a production and tasting centre near Evandale, 20 minutes drive south of Launceston. Enjoy free tastings of all the different sauces and fill up you bags with a variety of berry fruit sauces, chocolate sauces, apricot chutney, Cumberland sauce and even the Thai Chilli sauce! Drop off your car at the Hertz Launceston Airport before your flight departing to Melbourne.

Upon arrival at Melbourne Airport, proceed to collect your Hertz rental car. Make a visit to Yarra Valley Chocolaterie & Ice Creamery, where you can watch the art of chocolate making from handcrafting to handpacking and meet the European chocolatiers who will amaze you with their chocolate creations!

Overnight: Yering Gorge Cottage, 1 Bedroom (Bed & breakfast style)

Day 7: Yarra Valley

Start your day at Yarra Valley Dairy (10.30am to 5.00pm), a unique experience where you can enjoy fine farmhouse cheese made from the farms milk in a charming setting, where wines, coffee and regional foods are also available. Drive on to Rochford Winery for wine and cheese tasting experience and lunch. If time permits, join their Segway tour and experience all the delights of gliding among the grapevines, at the stunning Rochford Winery. Visit to Rayners Stonefruit Orchard which produces the widest range of stone fruit available in Melbourne, and also the freshest, juiciest, tastiest stone fruit available.

Overnight: Yering Gorge Cottage, 1 Bedroom (Bed & breakfast style)

Day 8: Yarra Valley / Melbourne (60km/1hour)

Start your day with the thrill of a sunrise hot air ballooning in the Yarra Valley; or enjoy a true Aussie working farm experiences at Warrook Cattle Farm. Then make you way to Melbourne city. Afternoon check-in your accommodation in Melbourne and drop off your car at Hertz downtown depot. Make use of the free City Circle Tram to visit fun-filled family attractions like Melbourne Museum, Melbourne Aquarium, Melbourne Observation Deck and the Eureka Skydeck, or enjoy the city’s skyline from the comfort of a river cruise along the Yarra River. Head to Queen Victoria Market for great buys for the family. Visit Crown Entertainment Complex to discover Melbourne’s pulsating nightlife. Or enjoy a luxurious and unique dining experience on board the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant while you cruise the streets of Melbourne and enjoy the fabulous food and wine.

Overnight: Punthill Flinders Land, 1 Bedroom Apartment (Room only)

Day 9: Melbourne / Singapore

Make your own way to the airport your departure flight to Singapore.