We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do close to ferry arrival Maria Island

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
what to do close to ferry arrival Maria Island

My elderly Mum wants to visit Maria island (long story why), but isnt all that mobile, How much would she see close to the ferry arrival area ?? Or does one need to walk miles to enjoy a day on Maria ? I am pretty sure she will be happy to just say she has been there, but also wondering if (on a nice day) is there anywhere pleasant she could sit and relax, maybe whilst I explored further. And am I right in thinking there is NO food (not even a coffee) available on the island ?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,371 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do close to ferry arrival Maria Island

Hi Dev. I though this side of the island was your old stamping ground. :)

The ferry goes to Darlington which is the old "township" where most of the probation station buildings are located. The Ranger Station (manned for ferry arrivals) is also there. There's no cafe/shop. :(

Map of Darlington: www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=5930

Darlington Fact Sheet: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=6475

Other useful stuff:

www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=19045

www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=3495

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c186494/Ta…

Luigi

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do close to ferry arrival Maria Island

Thanks Luigi, whilst I could walk backward blindfolded around Orford or Triabunna and come to no grief, I have never set foot on Maria, but was thinking it might not be much fun for an older person on sticks but if the old settlement is right close to ferry wharf and there is some shelter to sit rest Mum will be happy

Mentioned in this post
Orford
Orford
Tasmania, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do close to ferry arrival Maria Island

There's plenty of spots to sit up near the old Penetentiary buildings and things to do and see.

It's a good walk from the ferry though so your mum may need to take her time getting there.

Worth the visit IMO. A fascinating place.

4. Re: what to do close to ferry arrival Maria Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 21, 2014