We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

We are flying in to Hobart (arrive at 10am) and out of Launceston (depart at 7.30pm) and have 5 nights/6 days in between to self-drive ourselves up the island with our 9 year old boys. It's been over 20 years since I've been to Tasmania so I would love any suggestions on where to go and what to see..... as well as help with an itinerary on which way to drive and the best places to stay. Port Arthur is definitely on the list and I was wondering if the nightly ghost tours would be suitable for our boys? We'd also like to stay at Port Arthur over night as I don't want to be driving on the roads after dark

All help would be very much appreciated.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,627 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

In 6 days you've got time to spend a day or so in Hobart, then to Port Arthur, then up the east coast via Freycinet and bay of Fires, then to Launceston and the Tamar Valley.

If you're staying at Port Arthur overnight, you may as well do the ghost tour. I'm sure 9-year olds would find it entertaining. There's a motel on the site, but it's not great. Have a look here for others: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g504319-Port_Arthu…

Take a look at the Top Question on the right of this page, especially the one titled Touring by Car, for some more thoughts on things to see and places to go.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

Thank you so much for replying. I've been checking out this website and others for itinerary ideas and what you have suggested is pretty much what we were thinking of doing.

We will probably stay one night in Hobart and the from there to Port Arthur for a night. Just wondering if you think it would then be best to stay in Swansea, Freycinet or Bicheno after that? I'm trying to work out what the best attractions would be to show our boys, taking into account it will be mid April. We will finish with a night in Launceston, but I'm trying to work out what we should do between our stay in Port Arthur and arriving in Launceston.

Thank you so much.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

Hi,

IMHO you will spend most of the day at Port Arthur. If that is the case I would stay at Eaglehawk Neck/Pirates Bay and then head to Cradle Mountain before ending the tour at Launceston. Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

Thanks Ozrcflyer, appreciate your feedback. We will definitely stay 1 night at Port Arthur or Eaglehawk Neck before heading north. Might have to give Cradle Mountain a miss as it's a lot of driving to get there in the short time we have..... and one of our boys isn't a great traveller so we have to keep the amount of driving we do each day down to a minimum if possible. I'm thinking that travelling up the east coast could be our best option.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,627 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

I think Bicheno has the better accommodation and food options and it has penguin tours in the evening. www.bichenopenguintours.com.au/

This is an old thread, but not much changes. Have a look at post #2 (Option B) and it deals with that north-eastern corner of the island. tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255344-i1744-k…

There's some stuff on the Tamar Valley there too, I think.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

The ghost tour at Port Arthur is more or less designed for nine year olds, they'll love it. When you go there in the daytime make sure you do the guided tour, its extremely informative and you will get a better feel for how it actually was for all that were there. Enjoy your holiday

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

I'd agree that they'd enjoy the ghost tour. For accommodation, also check wotif.com as it lists most of the accommodation options throughout the Tasman Peninsula In one place, the tripadvisor link only shows the three or four actually in Port Arthur Village. All of the places listed on the wotif under Port Arthur are within about 15 minutes drive.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. You've been so helpful.

We've just about finalised our itinerary. I'd love your suggestions on the best way to drive from Coles Bay to Launceston. We were originally going to head north to Bicheno and beyond, but as one of our boys isn't a great traveller in the car, we're now thinking it might be better for us to cut back across to Campbell Town and head up that way. The road that is least windy is always a better option for us.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,627 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

The quickest, least winding road is to head south from Bicheno on the Tasman Highway toward Swansea, then west on the B34 to Campbell Town, then north to Launceston.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 night/6 day itinerary suggestions with 9 year olds

If it's the road from St Helens through Scottsdale you're trying to avoid, good idea. It was such a pretty route but I found it tough going. I wouldn't personally avoid it in the future but I'd factor in a lot more stops. The highlight in Scottsdale was getting out of the car for a while! (Sorry Scottsdale.) If you have no particular reason and no excess time to spend on the winding road, then go Luigi's way :-)